• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2016 Maths Marathon (archive) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestintheworld

HSC
Re: HSC 2016 2U Marathon

Can anyone solve this for me please?

A rectangle is cut from a circular disc of radius 6 cm. Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be produced.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Can anyone solve this for me please?

A rectangle is cut from a circular disc of radius 6 cm. Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be produced.
This may be of use...

Because of all shapes a rectangle was sandwiched in a circle, the intersection of the diagonals of the rectangle is also the centre of the circle. Hence, the diagonal of the rectangle is actually the diameter of the circle.

(Proof: According to Ext 1 circle geometry, the angle in a semicircle is a right angle, and all angles on a rectangle...are right angles)

So if you label one of the sides 'x' and then according to Pythagoras' theorem the other side is √(36-x^2)... A = x√(36-x^2)
-------> A^2 = x^2(36-x^2)
A^2 = 36x^2 - x^4

d(A^2)/dx = 72x - 4x^3 [4u students can rewrite d(A^2)/dx as 2A dA/dx using implicit diff if they want]

Then let d(A^2)/dx = 0

Trust me, letting d(A^2)/dx = 0 has the same effect as dA/dx = 0

Last edited:

Bestintheworld

HSC

can anyone attempt to do it? I wonder how long it will take you guys lol coz it took me so long to figure it out, seriously.

leehuan

HSC

can anyone attempt to do it? I wonder how long it will take you guys lol coz it took me so long to figure it out, seriously.
Well the full method only hit me a few seconds ago so read my above edited post.

Bestintheworld

HSC

Well the full method only hit me a few seconds ago so read my above edited post.
Great, it took me a while to realise that I could use pythagoras theorem. Nevertheless, this is what I did:

leehuan

HSC

Lol I knew it. I mixed up r=6 and 2r=12 again. But now, observe the SHORTCUT methods I suggested.

Direct use of product and chain rule is unnecessary brute force

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

The point P(x,y) moves so that it is equidistant from L and the line y=0. Show that the locus of P is a parabola, and find its vertex.

Answer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)