• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2016 MX1 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Re: HSC 2016 3U Marathon

α, β, are the roots of the quadratic equation ax²+bx+c=0

The co-efficients are in arithmetic progression.

1/α+1/β, α+β, α²+β² are in geometric progression.

Find αβ.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

α, β, are the roots of the quadratic equation ax²+bx+c=0

a, b, c, are distinct and in arithmetic progression.

1/α+1/β, α+β, α²+β² are in geometric progression.

Find αβ.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

When describing angle 'a', is a reasoning of 'Supplementary angle' a good enough reasoning when putting in an explanation?

e.g

Yeah it is a straight line so you can say it's 180 deg or you can prove b to he 70 deg (Vertically opposite) and this 2a = 360-140=220, a=110

leehuan

HSC

When describing angle 'a', is a reasoning of 'Supplementary angle' a good enough reasoning when putting in an explanation?

e.g

Best way of saying it is adjacent supplementary

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

The ext angle (all n are equal) = 360/n which is equivalent to your formula.

Oh - InteGrand's comment preceded mine.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

This is a bit of left-field question but at HSC level, when applying congruency tests (SSS,SAS, AAS, RHS) can it apply to shapes that have 5 sides or more?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

This is a bit of left-field question but at HSC level, when applying congruency tests (SSS,SAS, AAS, RHS) can it apply to shapes that have 5 sides or more?
No, congruency for shapes with more than 3 sides becomes more complicated. Like a simple example, a square has the same side lengths as a rhombus formed with equal side lengths, but these shapes are not congruent, despite an 'SSSS'. (Similar things occur for shapes with 5 sides or more.)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

No, congruency for shapes with more than 3 sides becomes more complicated. Like a simple example, a square has the same side lengths as a rhombus formed with equal side lengths, but these shapes are not congruent, despite an 'SSSS'. (Similar things occur for shapes with 5 sides or more.)
I just noticed in the Cambridge Year 10 text book, they did congruency tests for quadrilateral shapes. But what they do is they divide it up into two triangles so that you can do your further tests.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I just noticed in the Cambridge Year 10 text book, they did congruency tests for quadrilateral shapes. But what they do is they divide it up into two triangles so that you can do your further tests.
Yeah, there are congruency tests for higher-sided polygons, it's just that they're going to be more complicated (or less practical to apply) than the standard triangle ones (like for quadrilaterals, the Cambridge Year 10 book is reducing it to the case of triangles, because triangles are really the only simple one). If you're curious, you can find out some more about congruency for general polygons here: http://www.mathopenref.com/congruentpolygonstests.html . But congruency tests for higher-sided polygons isn't tested in the HSC I believe.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

In the books answer it said :

Could I have also said:

?
I don't know how strict the HSC is on such things, but it is generally a bad idea to state congruences and similarities without listing the vertices in order of their correspondence (which is not the case with your statement, the angles are not in the same order).

Even in the best-case scenario that they don't mark you down for such things, I think it is still a much better idea to state things in order in the first place, so then you can directly read off the resulting statements about side lengths and angles from your similarity/congruence statement without having to refer back to the diagram to check that angles "match up".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)