HSC 2016 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Re: MX2 2016 Integration Marathon

Now that I think about it.

The original function has no discontinuity at x=0 yet the primitive does. Does this matter?
when integrand divided down x^2 he implicitly assumed that x can not be zero. to resolve this matter, take the x back to the top by multiplying.

the value can then be verified with l'hopital's rule.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Mathematica could not find a closed form. Are you certain one exists? I know the reduction recurrence relation can be used to determine a given value of n, it doesn't imply the existence of a closed form. Even the case of y = 0 requires the hypergeometric function in order to express. The fourth argument is complex. This does not look nice.

omegadot

HSC
N/A

Mathematica could not find a closed form. Are you certain one exists? I know the reduction recurrence relation can be used to determine a given value of n, it doesn't imply the existence of a closed form. Even the case of y = 0 requires the hypergeometric function in order to express. The fourth argument is complex. This does not look nice.

aoc

HSC

How do you know this stuff if youre doing youre hsc this year wtf? I have to compete with you...

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

How do you know this stuff if youre doing youre hsc this year wtf? I have to compete with you...
I have the patience, tenacity and perseverance to spend over one day solving a single symbolic integral. I do NOT have the determinism to be competitive and speedy at examination level questions. These questions are beyond examination level.

Drsoccerball

HSC

LOL he knows uni stuff... Dw the only way you can beat him is by him making silly mistakes:p Since HSC is easy its possible that both of you could get 100:p

Drsoccerball

HSC

The reduction formula for these integrals appear the same is there a general rule to memorise these or are they only done through rigorous expansion and +- techniques?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

The reduction formula for these integrals appear the same is there a general rule to memorise these or are they only done through rigorous expansion and +- techniques?
Combine the n-1 th term and the n+1 th term, use sums to products and then guess the coefficient of the nth term, which is usually negative, but can definitely be positive. (Will write one soon)

You want to be able to obtain the denominator in the numerator so you can cancel and then easily integrate.

Also, go back to sleep. You don't have morning classes like I do.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

Combine the n-1 th term and the n+1 th term, use sums to products and then guess the coefficient of the nth term, which is usually negative, but can definitely be positive. (Will write one soon)

You want to be able to obtain the denominator in the numerator so you can cancel and then easily integrate.

Also, go back to sleep. You don't have morning classes like I do.
We pray 5 times a day :p And I havn't sleept yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)