HSC 2016 MX2 Marathon ADVANCED (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2016 4U Marathon - Advanced Level

If you noticed I commented on the unedited version of his post. The unedited one had Which wouldnt allow A to be a multiple of 2 for all real values of the RHS.
I think the other guy's proof is valid. You have A^2 = 2X, where A and X are both integers. Now consider if A is odd, i.e A = 2n+1 then A^2 = 4n^2 + 4n + 1 = 2(2n^2 + 2n) + 2 = 2m + 1 (n, m are integers). Therefore if A is odd, the A^2 is odd which is a contradiction, so A can't odd. If A is even then A = 2n, then A^2 = 2(2n^2) = 2m i.e A^2 is even if A is even. This works and therefore A must be even QED. No ? The only other possibility is if A is not an integer, but it is stated in the first place that it is, so the proof holds.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

You dont have to assume most of those results as they are given to be positive.
Another reason you don't need to assume some of them is that negative integers can be even and odd too, so you only need to know these three: odd + odd = even, odd + even = odd, even + even = even. (Or even simpler, if the two numbers being added have the same parity, the sum is even, and if the two numbers being added have different parity, then the sum is odd.)

lita1000

HSC

Another reason you don't need to assume some of them is that negative integers can be even and odd too, so you only need to know these three: odd + odd = even, odd + even = odd, even + even = even. (Or even simpler, if the two numbers being added have the same parity, the sum is even, and if the two numbers being added have different parity, then the sum is odd.)
Can you or sy or someone post a difficult problem?

lita1000

HSC

You can just do Sy123's one from the first page, since no-one's answered it yet:
Notice that the derivative of lnx /x is (1-lnx)/x^2, which <0 if x>e, so f(x)= lnx /x is a strictly decreasing function for x>e. Thus if y>x>e, there is no positive integer solutions for x^y=y^x (since this rearranges to form lnx/x=lny/y). So we only have to test for integers between 0 and e.
if x= 1 then trivially y=1 but since x=/=y this doesn't count. If x= 2, the only positive integer solution for y=4. By symmetry, (x,y):(4,2) is another solution.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Notice that the derivative of lnx /x is (1-lnx)/x^2, which <0 if x>e, so f(x)= lnx /x is a decreasing function for x>e. Thus if y>x>e, there is no positive integer solutions for x^y=y^x. So we only have to test for integers in 0<x<e, if x= 1 then trivially y=1 but since x=/=y this doesn't count. If x= 2, the only positive integer solution for y=4. By symmetry, (x,y):(4,2) is another solution.
Well done

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Do you have a difficult problem to share with us?
All topics?

Some ones that I can think of on the top of head that don't require any 4U knowledge:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Here is a good question (not too mechanical)

lita1000

HSC

Here is a good question (not too mechanical)

Consider P(x)-Q(x)= R(x), this has infinite roots, and the only polynomial with infinite roots is R(x)=0. Thus, R(z) is also =0 for all complex numbers z, and hence P(x)=Q(x) for all complex numbers as well

glittergal96

HSC

Related:

Find all polynomials p(z) such that p(cis(t))=p(cis(t+a)) for all t, where a is a given positive number.

You may need to consider cases.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Related:

Find all polynomials p(z) such that p(cis(t))=p(cis(t+a)) for all t, where a is a given positive number.

-----------

Last edited:

glittergal96

HSC

-----------

Very close.

Why must p(z)-p(t) have exactly q roots in the rational multiple of pi case? Also are you saying this is true for all t? Or some particular choice of t?

I agree that if t is nonzero, then p(z)-p(t) must have at LEAST q roots.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Revamping solution (and making some of the inferences more rigorous), had fun writing this

Related:

-----------

-----------

-----------------

Last edited:

lita1000

HSC

Revamping solution (and making some of the inferences more rigorous), had fun writing this

[/B]

-----------

-----------

-----------------

Tell me if I'm going full weirdo mode but isn't this factorization only true if q is odd?

I'm talking about the part where you factorised (t+h)^q-t^q

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Tell me if I'm going full weirdo mode but isn't this factorization only true if q is odd?

I'm talking about the part where you factorised (t+h)^q-t^q
You're thinking of the factorisation of (t+h)^q + t^q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)