HSC 2016 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
Re: HSC 2016 4U Marathon

Given P ( a cos theta , b sin theta ) and Q ( a cos phi , b sin phi ) lie on the ellipse x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

IF PQ subtends a right angle at (a,0) show that ( tan theta/2 ) X ( tan phi/2 ) = -b^2/a^2

How does b (sin theta - sin phi ) / a (cos theta - cos phi) = b/a * ( 2 sin ( (theta - phi) /2 ) ) ) * cos ( theta + phi /2 ) ) / - 2 sin ( (theta - phi) /2 ) ) sin (theta + phi /2 )
You already got an answer from Paradoxica when you accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. It's a simple sum to product identity.
The 4U course expects you to know how to prove these identities!

anjumiyake

HSC
N/A

By the triangle inequality, we have the following:

(1) 4 + 8 > X
(2) X + 5 > 15

The only integer satisfying those conditions is X = 11.

Edit: Strange question to be putting in this thread

KX

HSC

More working shown:

seanieg89

HSC

Perhaps more suitable for the advanced thread, but there are enough unanswered questions there for now:

A friend of yours (who knows very little about maths) is building a calculator and has programmed in the following features:
-It can display 20 digits on it's screen (and a decimal point between any two consecutive digits.)
-It can store some large but finite amount of rational numbers in memory.
-It can add/subtract/multiply/divide two rational numbers to give a third number. It can either get these source numbers from you typing them in or from memory. Similarly it can either output the result to the display or it can store the result in another memory slot.
-It can compare two rational numbers and decide which one is larger.

* (The word number in this sense means a rational number even if I don't alway write it.)

Given that his calculator takes 1 unit of time to do an elementary operation between two rational numbers, 1 unit of time to compare two numbers, and 1 unit of time to write a rational number to a vacant memory slot (assume that it takes 0 time to read/delete from a memory slot and to read from / write to the display), advise him on how to program in a square root function, and do this as efficiently as you can.

I.e. Write an algorithm for calculating the n-th root of an arbitrary positive rational number x in terms of the elementary operations and perhaps using memory. Prove that your algorithm will give you an arbitrarily good approximation to the exact n-th root of x, and include a upper bound for how many units of time are required to obtain an answer that is correct rounded to its first 20 digits.

You can also continue this exercise by thinking about how you could efficiently compute logarithms, exponentials, trignonometric functions, the values of special constants etc.

This question is quite open-ended. It is easy to come up with algorithms that "work", but the point of the exercise is to be creative and choose efficient ways (as small an upper bound for computation time as possible).

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Perhaps more suitable for the advanced thread, but there is enough unanswered questions there for now:

A friend of yours (who knows very little about maths) is building a calculator and has programmed in the following features:
-It can display 20 digits on it's screen (and a decimal point between any two consecutive digits.)
-It can store some large but finite amount of rational numbers in memory.
-It can add/subtract/multiply/divide two rational numbers to give a third number. It can either get these source numbers from you typing them in or from memory. Similarly it can either output the result to the display or it can store the result in another memory slot.
-It can compare two rational numbers and decide which one is larger.

* (The word number in this sense means a rational number even if I don't alway write it.)

Given that his calculator takes 1 unit of time to do an elementary operation between two rational numbers, 1 unit of time to compare two numbers, and 1 unit of time to write a rational number to a vacant memory slot (assume that it takes 0 time to read/delete from a memory slot and to read from / write to the display), advise him on how to program in a square root function, and do this as efficiently as you can.

I.e. Write an algorithm for calculating the n-th root of an arbitrary positive rational number x in terms of the elementary operations and perhaps using memory. Prove that your algorithm will give you an arbitrarily good approximation to the exact n-th root of x, and include a upper bound for how many units of time are required to obtain an answer that is correct rounded to its first 20 digits.

You can also continue this exercise by thinking about how you could efficiently compute logarithms, exponentials, trignonometric functions, the values of special constants etc.

This question is quite open-ended. It is easy to come up with algorithms that "work", but the point of the exercise is to be creative and choose efficient ways (as small an upper bound for computation time as possible).
Is this an unsolved problem (i.e. there may be faster ways than the currently fastest known way?)?

seanieg89

HSC

Is this an unsolved problem (i.e. there may be faster ways than the currently fastest known way?)?
Well my definition of algorithm time etc was very simplistic. There might be a provably optimal solution to the problem I posed, but I am certainly not asking anyone to obtain or prove an optimal algorithm. Just hoping the competitive aspect of "beating someone elses algorithm" is a motivating aspect haha.

In general I don't know if there is such an algorithm for square roots that is clearly better than all the rest (lots are GOOD, but more or less equal), and not much time is devoted to proving optimality or anything, because square roots aren't a "difficult" thing to compute. Vs say integrals over multi-dimensional domains, or numerical solutions to PDEs.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Well my definition of algorithm time etc was very simplistic. There might be a provably optimal solution to the problem I posed, but I am certainly not asking anyone to obtain or prove an optimal algorithm. Just hoping the competitive aspect of "beating someone elses algorithm" is a motivating aspect haha.

In general I don't know if there is such an algorithm for square roots that is clearly better than all the rest (lots are GOOD, but more or less equal), and not much time is devoted to proving optimality or anything, because square roots aren't a "difficult" thing to compute. Vs say integrals over multi-dimensional domains, or numerical solutions to PDEs.
if we have a fast algorithm for logarithms, we have a fast algorithm for square roots, and any roots.

...I just noticed algorithm and logarithm are anagrams. O_O

seanieg89

HSC

if we have a fast algorithm for logarithms, we have a fast algorithm for square roots, and any roots.

...I just noticed algorithm and logarithm are anagrams. O_O
Sure, but "fast" is relative. It is not immediately clear whether the time taken to exponentiate and take the logarithm of a quantity will be short enough to offset the time saved by translating an "n-th root problem" to a trivial one-step "division by n problem".

The idea is to explore these possibilities with concrete maths :).

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

After typing all that I now realise that it said n-th root not square root, but the idea would be the same, still using the Newtonian method just with the function . As for an upper bound on time units, I'm way too tired but a very weak one would be 20*time units/recursion. I also treated the numbers as having to be stored somewhere before any operations being done to them (You can't just multiply a number by itself, for example. You have to store that number in two different slots (register addresses), multiply them, then store the result somewhere in some slot.

I don't know if any of what I wrote makes any sense but I am too tired to read over it again. Yolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)