HSC Ancient History - Trends. (1 Viewer)

chaldoking

HSC
Hey Guys!What do you think the trends are for these topics in the HSC exams?- Pompeii and Herculaneum- Spartan Society- Agrippina the Younger- Rome's wars of expansionIs it worth studying based on trends if your doing last-minute study?

sirpoopalot7

HSC
You tell me Mr Rank 1st ;) No idea, I didn't do the Catholic trial paper but teacher got us a copy and the questions for our electives were crazy. Stuff we'd never expect.

HadiaWantIt

HSC
Hey Guys!What do you think the trends are for these topics in the HSC exams?- Pompeii and Herculaneum- Spartan Society- Agrippina the Younger- Rome's wars of expansionIs it worth studying based on trends if your doing last-minute study?
Come prepared for everything briefly, but take particular care in knowing past hsc questions.

chaldoking

HSC
Well, we were told that stuff you would never expect - to pay extra attention to it. That is why I am sort of worried. :S

sirpoopalot7

HSC
I think everyone's in the same boat. I'm going over the Catholic today anyway. I do Agripenis as well. It seems to follow a background question, relationship one then images/interpretation. Though after SOR, wouldn't be suprised with "Describe attempts made on her life"

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Well, we were told that stuff you would never expect - to pay extra attention to it. That is why I am sort of worried. :S
you can pretty much get anything for P+H so you really do need to be prepared for everything to cover yourself, the societies are pretty similar in that regard, for the time period and personalities there are usually 3 or so really key big issues that are routinely examined, eg: Xerxes: Greek wars, building program (persepolis), maintaining the empire. Though sometimes the BoS does like to throw random questions in there for shits and giggles, but not too often.

Thecorey0

HSC
Since the core has been there for only 3 years, the odds are that you can cross off some of the things that have been tested before. The ex-head of the entire ancient history marking told me that they never test the same thing 2 years in a row. But then again the 10-marker from 07 and 08 and remarkably similar. For punic wars, I hope it is not specifically on the first punic war. I suspect that hellenisim may be one of the questions, and maybe a personality, like Hasdrubal, Hamilcar or Cato, or maybe a question about the changing land warfare tactics of the the period.

Katherwin

HSC
My feeling is that for Pompeii and Herculanuem they will ask on politics, private houses and ethics. And for Sparta maybe a question on the army or the agoge. Maybe Second Triumvirate for Fall of the Roman Republic. My teacher kinda agrees with me. For Cleoparta, pretty much anything goes. But don't hold me to this, its only speculation! I'm still preparing for everything

lolrofllol

HSC
Since the core has been there for only 3 years, the odds are that you can cross off some of the things that have been tested before. The ex-head of the entire ancient history marking told me that they never test the same thing 2 years in a row. But then again the 10-marker from 07 and 08 and remarkably similar. For punic wars, I hope it is not specifically on the first punic war. I suspect that hellenisim may be one of the questions, and maybe a personality, like Hasdrubal, Hamilcar or Cato, or maybe a question about the changing land warfare tactics of the the period.
You can never cross anything out with confidence ^^Btw, I don't think they will ask about Hellenism (or I hope) and if they do go for Hamilcar, it's probably going to be about his role in the First Punic War.. there's very little on the adopted Hasdrubal to write about other than he was a diplomatic Carthaginian leader in Spain for about ~8 years and signed the Ebro River treaty. Maybe an assess the role of the Barca dynasty in the Punic Wars? (I think they've asked this before) Or explain the effect the wars on expansion had on society and the economy? (this would be an ideal question)I hope for something like: Evaluate the significance of (battle(s)) on the course of the (1st/2nd PW), but hahahah we all have dreams..

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
You can never cross anything out with confidence
of course no one is crossing it off with their syllabus sheet in hand like 'hmm that's been assessed in the past, and by rational deductive logic i conclude this will be examined in the 09 paper'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)