HSC art artists...who are the best? (1 Viewer)

detox9090909090

HSC
For the HSC Art exams, what are the best artists to study?
My art teacher has told me to do Warhol, Henson and DaVinci to get a diverse range, but i dont particually want to do any of them! does anyone have any better ideas????

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
hey
I did my HSC in 2005, and got 96 for art.
I would say don't do Henson, because my whole grade did it - with his exhibition and all - but do it if uve got good notes. Make sure you have like 'profiles' of about 10 different artists, from a variety of styles and periods of art, so watever question they pull out - u will be sweet. Last years paper had heaps on postmodernism - which was awesome, and pretty straight forward - i am nearly 100% certain i got full marks for the paper. I did Cezanne, Dali, Warhol, Henson, and sum others i think
but from 3 - 6 artists is more than adequate. Also, it is better to do 3 in depth than 10 as a 'shopping list'.

Hope that helps

stephey-luvcows

HSC
Hey Warhol is good to do. Im also doing my hsc this year and im picking 2 well known and 1 that isnt so much so its easier to go about them. Its also good to stand out in art so if your teacher said that to you she might of also said that to other people in your class so when it comes to in class assesments you guys might both have the same info to go off

James87

HSC
That is true
If possible get a less well known artist.

However, if you have solid information about well-known artists - the markers will recognise that and they will know if u are making up things or not. Cause they will know more about well known artists

Good Luck

punk_tartan

HSC
The_Apprentice said:
Do Duchamp.
everyone does duchamp, sure hes good to know about because it was his ideas and concept that prolpelled modern art and in many ways post modern art, but i think the key with the hsc is to know as many artists as possible, from a range or eras ang time frames

James87

HSC
Duchamp is very important to know.
last year, in section one of the paper, it was about duchamp for 8 or 12 marks (i forget). They assume that you havent seen the artists before, and that u can achieve full marks without prior knowledge. However, i am sure that what i added from my own brain and wat i had read/learnt about him previously contributed to what i think was full marks for that question and whole paper.

Moral: read a little about a lot. Sample as many styles, forms and artists as possible - so nothing they throw at u in the exam is completely foreign to u.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Ooohh. A Challenge!
Sorry if I sound like a know it all :confused:

Using Found Objects/Readymades/Pop Art Artists
Marcel Duchamp [Urinal signed R Mutt]
Andy Warhol [the King of Pop Art..]
Claus Oldenburg [giant grimy replicas of food]
Robert Rauschenberg [stuffed Angora goat in tyre, covered in paint]
Christo and Jeanne Claude Christo [They wrap the urban and natural environments]
Jeff Koons [takes cheap objects, transforming them into something of worth..very
kitsch]

Self Portraiture Artists and Photographers

Rembrandt Van Rijn [one pioneer of chiaroscuro and realism...Dutch]
Artemisia Gentileschi [Italian, female, painted herself as Biblical characters]
Frida Kahlo [ The awesome one..Mexican]
Vincent Van Gogh [Sunflowers, Bedroom in Arles...Dutch]
Pablo Picasso [you better know who he is..Spanish]
Brett Whiteley [ Australian. Loved ultramarine blue]
Cindy Sherman [Photographer,her photography is almost cinematic]
Yasumasa Morimura [Japanese, imposes/manipulates his face onto famous paintings]

Landscape
Frederick McCubbin [expressionism, beautiful emotional landscapes]
Arthur Boyd [expressionism, strange perspective in his landscapes, rawness of life too]
Rosalie Gascoigne [Post Modernism, she sculpts and takes all kinds of objects transforming them into art, uses alot of garbage]
Western Desert Art [Aboriginal form of art, its postmodern I suppose, because the Indigenous paintings are normally found in caves with natural ocres, these are made with boards/canvas and acrylics]
Gordon Bennett [ Political art. REALLY GOOD]
Imants Tillers [Appropriation...alot of appropriation, has a Latvian background]

I have more but I can't be bothered remembering them off the top of my head. I've probably spelt 39539 words wrong too.
Enjoy.
Goodluck.
Any notes needed on these, I have some.

Bye:wave:

shortay26

HSC
try using contempory artists

bcoz you can use them for alot of questions for the exams

well thats what my teacher said

mengO

HSC
well i dont know if you know this artist but i like studyin cindy sherman and basquait art... i think they are both very interesting and easy to study...

my body of work is from brett whitely's idea... he's interesting to study too

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
USE CLICHE ARTISTS!!!!
theyre easy to write about and so much to write about and dont even need to study them!

its not WHO you write about that gets you marks its wat u write about that does.

johnnyJIM

HSC
if this is for the extended reponses you need to know at least 2 art periods in depth and at least 2 artists and artworks of that time
i am doing ancient eqyptian art and impressionism and going to talk about pop art or dadaism aswell

VanJo

HSC
N/A
Hi eveyone...

Can anyone tell me a good artist to compare with Godon Bennett and his appropriation of Van Gough's bedroom?
I have to do a case study on it and bring in another atists and im drawing a blank...

Jo

Hairey

HSC
Uhh really sorry to not answer the question above Jo but I have one of my own

Is it stupid to throw in an artist which you havent covered in class but you recently saw an exhibition and think you could come up with some pretty good points which relate to a case study you've done?

goosiegoo

HSC
Hairey said:
Uhh really sorry to not answer the question above Jo but I have one of my own

Is it stupid to throw in an artist which you havent covered in class but you recently saw an exhibition and think you could come up with some pretty good points which relate to a case study you've done?
I don't think it is at all. They want you to express a broad understanding of art and artists, and that would be classified as adding to your broad understanding. :p

klaratiara

HSC
im doing Ah Xian, Gordon Bennett, Wassily Kandinsky and Piet Mondiran.
they're just very versitile artists. and i only did the last two in a modernism case study i just like the first two

pet_pet10

HSC
doesnt matter who you do, as long as you like them, then you'll always work some BS out during the exam

HSC
id pick different time periods and an artist from that time period so you have a diverse range of artists and era's. apparently the BoS likes to use contemporary atrtists nowadays, and are leaning towards australian artists too.
check out some past papers and see what they have in them. they might give you a few ideas in the trends.

also...

VanJo said:
Can anyone tell me a good artist to compare with Godon Bennett and his appropriation of Van Gough's bedroom?

Jo

whats the question, specifically? i might be able to pull one up...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)