HSC assignment on VIDEOGAME VOILENCE (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
hey guys, could u please spend a couple of minutes and help me out.

i have a major IRP (independent research project) due which accumaltes 30% for my hsc!!!

so i would REALLY REALLY appreciate it if you guys could just post ur thoughts on VOILENCE IN VIDEO GAMES, and any affects on mentality u have experienced by playing them... they dunt have to negative, so u dunt have to be in a negative frame of mind or anythign, just imagine that the governemnt was bannign voilence from videogames (GOD FORBID) but were holding a debate... just pretend that ur the main speaker... lol... just please, it will help me alot! (the more u write the better!!!) lol

thanks

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
Voilence in video games....doesn't do good but doesn't harm either, there just there. You get the equal amount of violence from the iraq war stories that are going about.

My opinion, not a solid argument and not willing to debate someone over.

(sorry for not doing the main speaker thing :( )

Juventino

doma

rite...
HSC
not much harm, its just that many many kids play videogames and out of those thousands theres only a couple who takes it out into real life...(probably forgot to take thier medication...)

...of course the media likes to report on the few bad cases there are, giving vid games a bad rep to oldies

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Certain cases may well have been the effect of video games, however, as such, not enough to make a video game ban.

In my opinion, it actually does make some impact, especially when a young child around the ages of 4-10 plays a violent video, he himself may be under some influence, as during that age they are still figuring themselves out in the world, and a violent video game could imprint a bad message for later years.

After about the age of 12, the child would of developed a more logical and abstract thinking, and will understand these violent games are just make believe. ( I do Psychology so I learned a bit about child development )

Then you can say that even if violent video games are the cause of many murder cases, who is to say that TV doesn't have an impact?

In an ideal situation, imagine you could do a worldwide ban of all violent movies/games that exist. Which is basically left with mostly G rated games/movies. It simply would not work out in the end even if a ban would be invoked.

The main point is, even though they may have an impact of society, it's not something that you could get rid, rather live with it or impose stricter policies.

E

Exponential Log

You should go to gaming-news-type of websites for references. Gamespot for example. Find a game whose primary purpose is violence and read the news about it.

I think Grand Theft Auto is a prime example.

Families sue over GTAIII-inspired shooting

The families of two persons, whose cars were shot at by teenage fans of Grand Theft Auto III, have filed a lawsuit against SCEA, Take-Two, Rockstar Games, and Wal-Mart.

The families of two persons, whose cars were shot at by two teenage boys as they passed through the Great Smoky Mountains on June 25, have filed a $246 million lawsuit against Sony Computer Entertainment America, Take-Two Interactive, Rockstar Games, and Wal-Mart. Aaron Hamel, 45, was killed and Kimberly Bede, 19, was seriously wounded when their cars were fired upon by two stepbrothers, aged 14 and 16, from Newport, Tennessee.

The boys told investigators that they had gotten the rifles from a locked room in their home and then started shooting at vehicles on Interstate 40 just like in Grand Theft Auto III. It's worth noting that GTA is an M-rated game that neither of them should have been playing. The minors are currently serving an indefinite term in state custody after pleading guilty to reckless homicide, endangerment, and assault in juvenile court in August.

The suit filed earlier this week alleges that Grand Theft Auto III inspires and trains players to shoot at vehicles and persons, and claims that the game's designers, marketers, and retailers are liable for $46 million in compensatory damages and $200 million in punitive damages. We'll bring you more information on this story as it becomes available.
and

Lieberman denounces Grand Theft Auto

Democratic presidential hopeful Joseph Lieberman describes Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series as horrendous during a forum at Dartmouth College.

According to a recent Reuters report, Democratic presidential hopeful Joseph Lieberman launched an attack on the Grand Theft Auto games during a women's forum at Dartmouth College yesterday. The Connecticut senator, who led the fight in Congress against excessive sex and violence in the entertainment industry, described Grand Theft Auto as "horrendous" and said that Rockstar Games should be more responsible.

"The player is rewarded for attacking a woman, pushing her to the ground, kicking her repeatedly, and then ultimately killing her, shooting her over and over again," said Lieberman. "I call on the entertainment companies--they've got a right to do that, but they have a responsibility not to do it if we want to raise the next generation of our sons to treat women with respect."

For more information on the Grand Theft Auto games, which aren't intended for anyone under 17 years of age, check out our previous coverage of both Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City--which, incidentally, awards "good citizen" bonuses to players who aid police officers attempting to capture muggers.

aditya

HSC
wow thank you SOOOO much for ur time... REALLY REALLY appreciate it...

and im a pretty into games, so if u guys need any help with anything, be sure to ask!

thanks agen guys

NB:and those cases are GOLD!!! thanks heaps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)