HSC Biology Progression (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone explain, segregation and independent assortment, without giving me some definitions...like explain it in terms of the steps in meiosis

bedpotato

HSC
Can someone explain, segregation and independent assortment, without giving me some definitions...like explain it in terms of the steps in meiosis
Random Segregation: Alleles for the same trait randomly separate from each other to produce haploid gametes that contain only one of the alleles. Example: Gg, G will end up in one gamete and g will end up in another. The word "random" is also important, pretty self explanatory. Basically means you don't know which alleles will end up in which gamete - it's totally random.

Independent Assortment:
Different pairs of alleles will assort themselves independently of one another. Basically, how one pair of alleles assorts themself has nothing to do with other pairs of alleles. Using the example of random segregation, how the alleles G and g end up in their gametes has nothing to do with how T and t end up in their gametes.

fionarykim

HSC
ahh i just had physics today
havent touched bio since the end of term 3
now i have two days to study for bio! idk how to go about starting HAHAH

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Random Segregation: Alleles for the same trait randomly separate from each other to produce haploid gametes that contain only one of the alleles. Example: Gg, G will end up in one gamete and g will end up in another. The word "random" is also important, pretty self explanatory. Basically means you don't know which alleles will end up in which gamete - it's totally random.

Independent Assortment:
Different pairs of alleles will assort themselves independently of one another. Basically, how one pair of alleles assorts themself has nothing to do with other pairs of alleles. Using the example of random segregation, how the alleles G and g end up in their gametes has nothing to do with how T and t end up in their gametes.
Where do these processes fit into meiosis? Ie, the order? Also, I dont quite get ur explanation for assortment.

ahh i just had physics today
havent touched bio since the end of term 3
now i have two days to study for bio! idk how to go about starting HAHAH
1. Open book.
2. Start studying.
3. State rank.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Where do these processes fit into meiosis? Ie, the order? Also, I dont quite get ur explanation for assortment.
4 daughter cells.
G might end up in the first one, g might end up in the second one. On the other hand the alleles Tt, might separately end up in the 3rd or 4th cell, 2nd, or 3rd cell, 1st and 4th cell etc. Basically it doesn't have to "sort" itself identically to how Gg was sorted.

martin96

HSC
only started today. disliking communication. hopefully core should be okay...Blueprint is probably the hardest of the core modules for me. MAB and SFBH are a breeze :3

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
only started today. disliking communication. hopefully core should be okay...Blueprint is probably the hardest of the core modules for me. MAB and SFBH are a breeze :3
Yea. its only the meiosis stuff that is confusing for me. Everything else is pretty much fine.

martin96

HSC
haha you'll be fine dude! I dont think ill even have time to do past paper questions! im just gonna re-write notes and strengthen my weaker concepts and read over past trial papers ive done.. :(

bedpotato

HSC
Random segregation: anaphase I
Independent assortment: metaphase 1. when homologous chromosomes line up in the cell, they do this independently of each other (how one pair of chromosomes line up isn't dependent on what the rest of the pairs are doing). The example I used wasn't a great one soz.

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
You can't have all 20. Unless 20 of the alts are all different people.
mate

thats your plan isn't it

20 kids to artificially fill the state ranks

then its just you at the state rank party i.e. go to that celebration and brag in front of channel 7 about how you didn't expect state ranking when you actually did

Candidate

HSC
2 more dot points in Communication! so close till i can start the next three. Im kind randomly writing points as I go for double the memorisation lolol and I did a past paper Communication option. The questions are so friggin random.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)