HSC Chemistry Exam Solutions / Thoughts (1 Viewer)

hash1234

HSC
hmm for the conductivity graph question, i accidentally said Ba(OH)2 is a weak base, but i provided correct reasoning for the graph and equations. Will i still loose a mark?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm for the conductivity graph question, i accidentally said Ba(OH)2 is a weak base, but i provided correct reasoning for the graph and equations. Will i still loose a mark?
Potentially. I can't really say how they mark in terms of writing wrong things, but you can just hope for the best

worldno17

HSC
N/A
In the diagram, the flame was very far away from the beaker, I didn't say to put it right on the beaker, just closer
if the question had "explain how...", you may lose a mark as your answer may not have been specific enough? e.g. they may have been expecting you to say smth like remove the tripod or mount the spirit burner. fingers crossed it'll be allg!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For 23 b, could you say to make the flame closer to the beaker to minimise heat loss? I feel like I've also seen it in a past paper, but that's what I wrote
Edit: I now realise you included this, but I didn't explicity mention HOW you would make the flame closer. I just said to move it closer to the beaker
You may get away with it as it is only 2 marks, so answers might not need to be that detailed

Jendeukie

HSC
N/A
omg wait I'm really grateful for answers and don't want to be presumptuous but for multiple choice is it okay if you put the answer in words/number too along with the letter? i just realised i don't remember anything i picked

thank you sm

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Currently having trouble with the max limit of 10000 characters on a post will be back going to convert it all to pictures

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I will be back soon guys. I estimate it will all be done by 12 (it is taking a long time in typing calculations etc)

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks so much for spending your night trying to post up the answers to each question as soon as possible. Really appreciate it.

Jendeukie

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the answers! Omg Q.18 I honestly flopped akaksksksk how'd I not see the x 10-4!?!?!? SO blind

I also totally flopped in evaluating Bronsted-Lowry theory, didn't realise I was gonna lose a mark but obviously I needed to have included a limitation. I didn't. Smh!

I'm actually concerned for myself I need some kind of eye check-up either it was bc I was running on 6 hours of sleep over 2 days or I'm blind blind but I looked at the Keq TWICE (once at beginning and once at end) and honest to god thought it was just 3 each time,,,,, lads I need jesus

EDIT: also Jazz if you see this sorry for my post about asking you to write words in next to MCQ and stuff just in case! I know you said to check the first post but I'm an idiot and thought that meant the most recent post in the FORUM as a whole, I stumbled on OP by chance like 5 mins ago. Lol.

Last edited:

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
This has been discussed before, but in your opinion would the substitution of water with chloroethane (using sulfuric acid catalyst) to produce ethanol be suitable as an answer for question 34, step 1?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
This has been discussed before, but in your opinion would the substitution of water with chloroethane (using sulfuric acid catalyst) to produce ethanol be suitable as an answer for question 34, step 1?
Yeah I think it should be fine, pretty sure in the Pearson textbook it has chloroethane + water reaction and also the chloroethane + base reaction

Arrowshaft

HSC
Also, did we have to rewrite the structural equations? Because they already provided it. And there was limited space

Arrowshaft

HSC
It depends on your observation. If you said the permanaganate changes colour from purple to colourless that is fine
What if I forgot to say the colour change but said the after adding sodium carbonate powder there were bubbles that formed. I can’t believe it either, I was so cooked during the exam.. smh

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
What if I forgot to say the colour change but said the after adding sodium carbonate powder there were bubbles that formed. I can’t believe it either, I was so cooked during the exam.. smh
Nah that's fine I just put both there for an overall holistic solution set, so it covers more answers that could potentially be given. Just saying the sodium carbonate and bubbling is all you need :)

Jendeukie

HSC
N/A
They only usually mark 1 q in the exam on sig figs so don't worry too much
I don't know what this means :( like as in, they choose one specifically to be marked with sig figs in the criteria? But thank you for the reassurance!!!!

Jendeukie

HSC
N/A
Wait, are you sure we need diagrams for the boiling point question?

What if I gave a lot of analysis about hydrogen bonds and permanent dipole-dipole forces in depth :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)