HSC Chemistry Exam Solutions / Thoughts (1 Viewer)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Also - does anyone know roughly what state rank will be?
Not sure raw cause I haven't seen the paper but aligned state rank for Chem is usually around 97

Hithcock

HSC
Am I the only person that thinks the cutoff will be really high? It seems to me that the only thing that really makes chem tests hard is extended responses (which it lacked in), and most people seem to agree that this test was pretty easy. I feel like the cutoff will be high 80s (but I hope im wrong because I think I got low 80s). Its really worrying me how easy everyone in the state found the exam.
Hmmm, might be the case but we don’t know for sure in terms of the state. Some of the calculations were a bit complex EG finding Cu2+ and Pb2+, where we had to find the absorption, then concentration, then convert it to ppm (mg L-1). Some kids would have never done this kind of thing before so we don’t know for sure :). My prediction is that it would be the same as always, but obviously we can’t know for sure. We'll just have to wait and see :)

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Did you guys get 10.4 and 2.00 for the two pH qs?
Yep I did! :) Might've been a bit different for the pH 10 one because I used quadratic formula for that one lol to find x (definitely got 10. something though).

Last edited:

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Uh what, usually state ranks happen from 96-97 aligned.
Yeah I know. But I feel like there was really no differentiator in this exam. All the questions seemed simple enough. I'm definitely not claiming I aced this test (just hoping for 90 aligned), but I certainly think many people out there easily would have compared to the old syllabus which tripped you up with lots of written responses and niche things.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Yep I did! :) Might've been a bit different for the pH 10 one because I used quadratic formula for that one lol to find x...got lazy for the [Hg2+] one though.
Quadratic formula lol? That sounds overly complex, you just assume x or whatever the concentration of ions is, is small enough, so the quadratic terms disappears

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Quadratic formula lol? That sounds overly complex, you just assume x or whatever the concentration of ions is, is small enough, so the quadratic terms disappears
I...wanted to be more accurate. :( Because I had a past instance where the x wasn't so negligible and it actually affected the answer a lot. This time, I did a brief check using the assumption, got a similar answer though.

Surely they won't take off marks for using quadratic formula?! (Jazz, pls answer this question)

Arrowshaft

HSC
Yeah I know. But I feel like there was really no differentiator in this exam. All the questions seemed simple enough. I'm definitely not claiming I aced this test (just hoping for 90 aligned), but I certainly think many people out there easily would have compared to the old syllabus which tripped you up with lots of written responses and niche things.
Mate. Don’t trust HSC discussion group for comments about “easiness” 😂. We’ll be alright I’m sure, as for the cut offs, I’m predicting a 80-82 since it is the new syllabus. Also, “everyone” in the state might think the calculations are easy, but as Hithcock said, they by might not’ve been taught the correct method for complex q’s - you gotta remember after all, this is AuStRaLiA we’re competing against, our maths is so bad

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Mate. Don’t trust HSC discussion group for comments about “easiness” 😂. We’ll be alright I’m sure, as for the cut offs, I’m predicting a 80-82 since it is the new syllabus. Also, “everyone” in the state might think the calculations are easy, but as Hithcock said, they by might not’ve been taught the correct method for complex q’s - you gotta remember after all, this is AuStRaLiA we’re competing against, our maths is so bad
I really hope you're right, cause if you are the whole chemistry game has changed (in a good way too)

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Wait lmao if I didn't assume that x is negligible for a pH question, am I going to lose marks? Boi I literally used quadratic formula to be extra accurate, LOL.

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait lmao if I didn't assume that x is negligible for a pH question, am I going to lose marks? Boi I literally used quadratic formula to be extra accurate, LOL.
Whilst I think chances of you losing marks is low, I agree its actually so retarded that there even is a chance you'd lose marks.

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Whilst I think chances of you losing marks is low, I agree its actually so retarded that there even is a chance you'd lose marks.
Wtf, isn't accounting for x the more correct thing to do? Although I think I landed on the same answer. Or a very similar one at least. Eh, I think it should be fine tbh.

Idkwhattoput

HSC
Uni Grad
Wtf, isn't accounting for x the more correct thing to do? Although I think I landed on the same answer. Or a very similar one at least. Eh, I think it should be fine tbh.
I think it is more correct, but there is a general way to do things, and I don't know if some stupid marker will think you're pulling random bs. But yeah, I highly doubt you'd lose marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)