HSC English Marking (1 Viewer)

Jojofelyx

HSC
Do you reckon they mark english more leniently in the hsc than they do at school?

I was told by my teacher not to stress too much about one of my assessment essays because "its an 18 here, but i would likely say that its a 20 in the hsc, maybe a 19 if they were harsh on you"

MyHeadee

HSC
Do you reckon they mark english more leniently in the hsc than they do at school?

I was told by my teacher not to stress too much about one of my assessment essays because "its an 18 here, but i would likely say that its a 20 in the hsc, maybe a 19 if they were harsh on you"
Probably. If you are good at writing complex and well delivered thesis+intro's and 1st paragaphs that directly address the question, then youll prolly be looking at a consistent 19 at a worst case in terms of hsc marking, even if the rest of your essay doesnt as much 'answer' the question.

mikrokosmos

HSC

YEPP. Easier and an ex HSC marker told me that they all used to spend 5, at most 10 minutes on each essay. The main crux is your introduction (a bad thesis = bad first impression = usually a bad marker attitude) and then your topic sentences. Of course analysis matters but the aforementioned are crucial

Hiheyhello

HSC
YEPP. Easier and an ex HSC marker told me that they all used to spend 5, at most 10 minutes on each essay. The main crux is your introduction (a bad thesis = bad first impression = usually a bad marker attitude) and then your topic sentences. Of course analysis matters but the aforementioned are crucial
wait … but can’t anyone just write a good intro and topic sentences!?

and if that’s the case wouldn’t like everyone get band 6s

mikrokosmos

HSC
Plus depends on the rubric, for example Mod B is hell bent on a personal thesis. So basic stuff doesn’t do too well

Jojofelyx

HSC
Plus depends on the rubric, for example Mod B is hell bent on a personal thesis. So basic stuff doesn’t do too well
Oh shit, i've been going very objective, mathematical and 'critical' of in my mod b responses, personal voices in essays just sounds shit ugh

notme123

HSC
i was so indecisive with my judgement of to what extent in mod b. i switched the verb on my very first sentence and line of the booklet at least 5 times on the page now you cant tell the modality of what extent i agreed with the question, its just a bunch of scribbles. hopfully the see the utmost in the corner written in size 2 font

hopfully the marker can see i put ✨ thought ✨into it

Last edited:

Hiheyhello

HSC
yep so now i may or may not be trying to recall everything i wrote and over analysing and over thinking

mikrokosmos

HSC
Don’t stress girl!! Honestly it’s out of your control now. But that’s what my tutor drilled into our minds because of the rubric / NESA criteria on the exam paper.

personal thesis also links to your criticals too!

icycledough

HSC
wait … but can’t anyone just write a good intro and topic sentences!?

and if that’s the case wouldn’t like everyone get band 6s
I don't think everyone does that though. People with a regurgitated essay may just rewrite it, sometimes potentially without thinking about the question. You also have to consider about the fact that writing topic sentences isn't just re-wording the question, as some students may think it is. It takes a lot of practice and being accustomed to new questions which will separate Band 6 students from other students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)