HSC Extension 1 Mathematics Predictions / Thoughts (1 Viewer)

shashysha

HSC
Since I did not have the cases or check the region whatsoever, I only integrated it and subbed x=1/2, what do you reckon I would get for it?
probably 2/3 like most people lol im fairly sure most the state lost a mark on that

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Surely this recognition that -1 is not part of the derivative domain is not necessary, although important for rigour?
If rigour is not important for the HSC markers then it would probably be sufficient to simply test one point to find c (i.e. most people would get full marks). However, the whole idea of testing for the different domains was for the sake of rigour (i.e. just in case there is some weird piecemeal function where each piece differs by a constant). If the HSC markers expect that additional level of rigour then it would make sense for them to also expect due considerations of where the derivative is undefined but the function is defined.

I cannot say for sure how rigorously the HSC markers will scrutinise it, but I suspect the intended solution they had in mind was what I had in my earlier post (the arguments of common points at the edges of the domain). Otherwise, I think the question is extremely generous to be worth 3 marks.

Xanthi

HSC
If rigour is not important for the HSC markers then it would probably be sufficient to simply test one point to find c (i.e. most people would get full marks). However, the whole idea of testing for the different domains was for the sake of rigour (i.e. just in case there is some weird piecemeal function where each piece differs by a constant). If the HSC markers expect that additional level of rigour then it would make sense for them to also expect due considerations of where the derivative is undefined but the function is defined.

I cannot say for sure how rigorously the HSC markers will scrutinise it, but I suspect the intended solution they had in mind was what I had in my earlier post (the arguments of common points at the edges of the domain). Otherwise, I think the question is extremely generous to be worth 3 marks.
Yes, but substituting once is a problematic in the sense that there exists functions that do differ by a constant e.g arctanx + arctan*(1/x) between continuous portions.

However, I think(?) that there exists no functions that upon substituting the endpoint of each continuous portion of the domain, if the derivative is only undefined at such endpoints, that the functions are not equal. So in some sense, by only substituting one point, there is potential to form incorrect equalities, but not by failing consider the derivative domain and endpoints.

Therefore, wouldn't failing to substitute two points appear to be a rather more serious error in terms of the rigour?

beetree1

HSC
what would a 67/70 align to and I cant tell if the exam was harder or not than usual years, would this years aligning be similar to the past years or worse

Xanthi

HSC
Another way to put it is to conclude whether it is reasonable to make the deduction that endpoint equality at discontinuity + equal integral implies equal function as you do in your main solution. If it is, I don't see a reason why marks should be deducted for immediately jumping to the conclusion they are equal after substituting two endpoints.

If it is not acceptable, the only solutions that should be accepted are the double triangle, and endpoint equality check + double substitution in the continuous branches outside of the endpoints.

Xanthi

HSC
what would a 67/70 align to and I cant tell if the exam was harder or not than usual years, would this years aligning be similar to the past years or worse
Well my equation puts you at a 98, which I think is about right

catha230

HSC
That just makes it to 99!
DOes that mean that 69 and 70 will be 100? If so does that mean the 1 mark difference between 69 and 70 does not matter? Also when they give you your final mark, is it out of 50 or 100? Thanks in advance mate!

Xanthi

HSC
DOes that mean that 69 and 70 will be 100? If so does that mean the 1 mark difference between 69 and 70 does not matter? Also when they give you your final mark, is it out of 50 or 100? Thanks in advance mate!
69 is probably is still 99 and 70 will obviously be 100. Not sure about the final mark tbh. But it definitely does matter, raw marks are used by uac for scaling. State ranks are also held to two decimal places as well.

tokyocalling

HSC
im not positive about this but i think you get your mark out of 100 if you take 4 units of math but 50 if you only take 3 units. The mark difference between 69 and 70 definitely matters ahaha

HSC
do we think itll align better this year than other years? i know quite a few ppl doing the test found it p hard esp w/ q14, so what do you guys reckon the e4 cutoff will be?

Fabrizio

HSC
do we think itll align better this year than other years? i know quite a few ppl doing the test found it p hard esp w/ q14, so what do you guys reckon the e4 cutoff will be?
I doubt it will deviate far from a 55 because i would say about 8 marks from q14 would be considered band 6 and then you have the 7 for the f(x)=g(x) and then the volume of revolution.

Fabrizio

HSC
They were so lazy writing the exam that even Q14b is the same as a question from the sample paper

Last edited:

Husky

HSC
last years cut off was 73-74% so it will probably be around the same if not less due to q14 a).

Xanthi

HSC
Yes, q14a is challenging but I believe that the difficulty of this paper has been overstated a little compared to past years, given the other parts are somewhat easier (and even 14a to it's equivalent). I would expect a borderline band 5-6 student to lose around 7 marks on question 14 (either 6+1 Or 5+2) and no more than 2 marks on each of the other sections and one mark on multiple choice (Q9 most likely). So far from being extremely easy or anything, but in my opinion just a bit more approachable than past years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)