HSC Final mark (1 Viewer)

codislife

HSC
N/A
I have a question regarding the final hsc mark. Let's say I'm coming first in modern history with 85 but get 95 in the hsc, will I get 95 for my final mark? Also if I get 70% in my internal for let's say maths 3u but I'm coming like 7/18 if I get a mark like 95 in the hsc what will my final mark be?

Thanks

ocatal

HSC
My understanding is that your final internal mark is dependent on the mark of the same rank achieved by your cohort for the HSC. So, if I'm correct, you would be getting the 7th highest HSC mark for 3U maths as your internal mark but still keep your external mark. Say the 7th mark is 80, your overall HSC mark would be the average of 80 and 95 (88). I may be wrong though..

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
My understanding is that your final internal mark is dependent on the mark of the same rank achieved by your cohort for the HSC. So, if I'm correct, you would be getting the 7th highest HSC mark for 3U maths as your internal mark but still keep your external mark. Say the 7th mark is 80, your overall HSC mark would be the average of 80 and 95 (88). I may be wrong though..
That bit you are correct

enoilgam

HSC
I have a question regarding the final hsc mark. Let's say I'm coming first in modern history with 85 but get 95 in the hsc, will I get 95 for my final mark? Also if I get 70% in my internal for let's say maths 3u but I'm coming like 7/18 if I get a mark like 95 in the hsc what will my final mark be?

Thanks
Internal marks are determined primarily by a students position in their cohort - a persons position is made up of their ranking and the relative gaps between them and other students. It's also determined by the cohorts performance in the final exam. What happens is the person coming first internally receives the highest external mark from their cohort as their final internal mark - the same goes for the person coming last. Those in between receive a moderated mark based on their rank and the relative gaps between them and other students (so if second isnt far off first internally, then the final internal mark will reflect this).

So final internal marks can only be determined once the externals have been marked.

For a more detailed explanation, here is the official BoS explanation of the process http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...oderation.html.

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Awesome explanation enoilgam (as usual). Really made the process very clear :)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Internal marks are determined primarily by a students position in their cohort - a persons position is made up of their ranking and the relative gaps between them and other students. It's also determined by the cohorts performance in the final exam. What happens is the person coming first internally receives the highest external mark from their cohort as their final internal mark - the same goes for the person coming last. Those in between receive a moderated mark based on their rank and the relative gaps between them and other students (so if second isnt far off first internally, then the final internal mark will reflect this).

So final internal marks can only be determined once the externals have been marked.

For a more detailed explanation, here is the official BoS explanation of the process http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...oderation.html.
Regarding the person coming last affecting the gap between first and last, what if that person is an outlier? say <30. Will they still affect the gap or just be considered an outlier?

Btw, OP in that situation the person coming first would get the 95.

Lina3

HSC

So does that mean, since I am only 2 marks apart from the person coming 1st in English Advanced, my final mark would be about 2 marks away from his?

enoilgam

HSC
Regarding the person coming last affecting the gap between first and last, what if that person is an outlier? say <30. Will they still affect the gap or just be considered an outlier?
I dont think they are excluded as outliers - but I'm not 100% sure.

So does that mean, since I am only 2 marks apart from the person coming 1st in English Advanced, my final mark would be about 2 marks away from his?
It depends on the spread of the external marks as well, so it's difficult to say.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Unlikely unless your cohort bombs out, say the difference between first(92) and last is 40(52), the marks are squished together between 52 and 92, So the guy coming first could get the 92 and you may still get a 91 (unsure the actual way they do it soz)

codislife

HSC
N/A
So let's say I get 85 in Modern and rank first and get 95 in the externals, my mark will be 95?

codislife

HSC
N/A
So let's say I get 85 in Modern and rank first and get 95 in the externals, my mark will be 95?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)