hsc/flowchart templates (1 Viewer)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
it says on the hsc timetable that we're allowed a flowchart template in the exam. if anyone's got one, are they any use? and where can you get one?
thanks

sunny

meh.
HSC
They're useful cause it pretty much has all your flowchart symbols on it ready for you to trace out. It makes things alot neater and you don't have to remember how to draw them, just recognise them on the template. I've been looking for them as well, mostly I've been trying in stationary places but haven't found any yet. :(

SupaGloo

kmart sells :D

um... i forgot my template in the sdd hsc... din need it anyway... i remembered them all from all those stoopid diagrams in my major project

only set that is a bastard is the system flowcharts... weird symbols so its harder to remember

Morgues

you would be mad to use flowcharts instead of pseudocodes in the first place

SupaGloo

yeh... if u plan to use flowcharts on that meaty algorithm design question, good luck!! i had 2 pages of puedocode/made up code.... if it was in flowchart form... woowee... doubt theyd even bother tryna decode wat ur saying

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I believe Officeworks sells those templates - they also have useful ones for maths.

And Morgues... unless the new course is drastically different to the old, which I don't think it is, they can actually specifically ask you to draw flowcharts.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yeah
i prefer pseudocode, but just in case we're specifically asked for flowcharts, i thought one would be handy.

do0d

they dont mark you on your neatness
if it looks like a square its a square etc
unless you use it lots youll end up slower with the template then by quickly drawing up the flow chart
also what happens if you cant write enough in the lil square thats provided?
but if ure an expert with one already by all means use it

sunny

meh.
HSC
I don't think its so much for the neatness as the reason for using a template - its just you don't have to remember how to draw them! Yes, there aren't many to remember, but in exam conditions who knows what you'll forget?

Morgues

i just hate flowcharts..........with loops, diamonds which i cant fit text into and stuff like that it ends up looking like a visual art masterpiece by a mad man.......

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by Morgues
i just hate flowcharts..........with loops, diamonds which i cant fit text into and stuff like that it ends up looking like a visual art masterpiece by a mad man.......
hmmmm..... is it too late to change my major work?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Officeworks on Princes Highway Carss Park DOES NOT sell them, I asked :p

But I found one (at an exorbitant price) at my local newsagent. And apparently they even come in different colours!

They're great because they have the names of things on them, so even if you use pseudocode and not flowcharts you can remember what sort of data structures you're using :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
I think I'll just go an make my own with cardboard. :D

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
I think I'll just go an make my own with cardboard. :D
Good idea... you could make millions by selling them to SDD students in yr11... ;)

I was tempted to make my own mathaid one ($18 for a piece of green plastic with lines cut out of it and a green plastic set square? geez) but I was too lazy :)

T

tactic

flowcharts are useless..
in uni you get 0 marks for them
its considered baby work..
in the exams you will have the option of doing pseduocode/flowchart..

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
That does, however, depend on whether I'm planning to do anything vaguely algorithm-related in uni :)

Liz: they're called (computer) flowchart templates. Usually somewhere around the $8-10 mark.

Case Study

HSC
Ya, flowcharts take way too much space and when u stuff it up, it becomes a big mess. Stick to pseudocode. My teacher said they tend to mark u higher in the HSC is u use pseudocode. But whether its true or not, I don't know. :cool:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
They can't mark you higher: if you have the correct algorithm in flowchart form you can't get any less than full marks ;)

Then again, it MAY or may not be easier to stuff up flowcharts.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by anti
Officeworks on Princes Highway Carss Park DOES NOT sell them, I asked :p

But I found one (at an exorbitant price) at my local newsagent. And apparently they even come in different colours!
as did i... the day after my SDD trial, in which i did not draw any flowcharts. mine is tinted yellow. if for nothing else i can use it to remember what some of the more obscure symbols mean.

but you'd be crazy not to use pseudocode, unless q's really lend to flowcharts

SamD

HSC
N/A
In the HSC it doesn't make any difference whether you use flowcharts or pseudocode, they're both marked the same. Having said that, it is apparent when marking that better students tend to use pseudocode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)