• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC having prelim questions (1 Viewer)

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
My teacher said 30% of the test can be made up of preliminary topics. Is anyone actually going back over preliminary topics or do you think just keep practising questions for practise HSC papers etc ?

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
my teacher said there always is, but i havnt noticed them so i must already understand them and just do it, most of the year 11 topics flow through to year 12 anyway, i was just wondering if anyone else was going over them

HSC
Usually the prelim stuff they ask you is basic finance (ie. find GST of an item with already GST), basic measurement or some basic probability, thats what i've found after doing all hsc past papers anyway

m_khalid

HSC
im going to keep going through practice hsc papers..

look over some past papers for any prelim questions..have there been any in the past?

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
Casmira said:
Usually the prelim stuff they ask you is basic finance (ie. find GST of an item with already GST), basic measurement or some basic probability, thats what i've found after doing all hsc past papers anyway
ohk cool, do you know any other sites with some questions?

HSC
xox_eMz_xox said:
ohk cool, do you know any other sites with some questions?
Speak to PC he has some excellent resources ... also you can purchase the Success one general maths book, that book splits up all topics (from prelim to HSC) and uses past HSC questions, but not just past HSC as in past 4 years (it doesnt use them) it uses prior the 2001 syllabus, I think a mix of maths and society and maths in practise or something (which was the previous maths courseS) and maybe they make up their own?
all answers are worked as well, even multiple choice, great little book you can pick up at dymocks

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
thanks,
yeh i have plenty of maths books that ive almost finished.. one more wouldnt hurt.

HSC
success one will take you well over a week to finish D: and the general maths exam is in 18 days

7th Sign

HSC
sux 2b me i never did year 11 gen :(

oh well I can only do my best in the exam :D

comming from 2 unit to general is shit because I aways try to make the questions seem hard but really their easy stuff :(

HSC
Without wings, what'd you do to get the band 6 for general maths, entire success one book?

HSC
Without Wings said:
I covered nearly all the course in 9/10 advanced mathematics, therefore a lot of it was stuff i'd already done.
I did year 9/10 adv maths as well, that really only helped with trigonometry really :D

PC

HSC
N/A
Typical things to look out for from the Preliminary Course are probably:
• Field Diagrams (offset surveys)
• Errors in measurement (percentage error and all that stuff)
• Similar Triangles (or similar figures)
• Right-angled trigonometry (of course)
• Capture-recapture technique (bound to be a question on this)
• Cumulative Frequency Tables, Histograms and Polygons
• Stats stuff like Census/Sample, Categorial/Numerical data, Discrete/Continuous data
• Basic terminology and examples with Shares

These sort of questions keep popping up. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
HSC
Without Wings said:
Really? we covered a lot of the course, or at least the basics of it in yr9/10, or so i found anyways
our teacher was a little off, we did alot of year 10 course in year 9 as well, half way into year 10 started onto 2u/3u work :(

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
how much is succes one book

the_thomasu

HSC
I'm one who went from advanced in yr11 to general in yr12. Haven't come into any trouble really, everything is pretty straight forward.

Question PC..

wtf is " Capture-recapture technique (bound to be a question on this) " from the prelim course? I've never heard of something thats bound to be asked of me!?

PC

HSC
N/A
Capture recapture is a way for biologists to estimate the population of fish in lakes or oceans and all that sort of stuff.

The main thing to remember is that at any given stage you have a certain number of tagged fish and a total number of fish. You make the assumption that that ratio will stay the same.

Here's a typical question.
The fisheries board captured 145 fish, tagged them and released them back into Lake Macquarie. The following year the board captured 278 fish and observed that 79 of them were tagged. What is the population of this species of fish in the lake?

Think about the second part of the question there were 79 tagged fish compared to the total of 278 fish caught. If you like, that's a ratio of 79:278 or as a fraction 79/278.

Now think about the first bit of the question. There were 145 tagged fish compared to a total population of ... ? Let's call this n. So this would be a ratio of 145:n or a fraction of 145/n.

We just assume the ratio is the same, so put the fractions equal to each other.
79/278 = 145/n
Cross multiplying gives:
79n = 278 x 145
79n = 40310
n = 510 (approximately)

So an estimate of the number of fish is 510.

Easy huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)