HSC hot takes (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
arguably it is a far fairer game than students taking piss easy electives/subjects in university and having a higher overall wam when recruiting for intern/grad positions
that’s true, uni does have its own game to play in a way and if u really wanna go through a easy degree and max out wam it’s possible, specifically for degrees like business or really flexible degrees like a bsci. however for the less flexible and more stem oriented degrees (and a lot of others) you might only get 4 or so electives outside of your field where you could pick easy stuff, and maybe there’s a couple inside of your field where you could pick easy stuff also. so you still have your whole core of degree to get through, and you can’t just pick easy stuff to get through with max wam

plus at least everyone in the same field will likely have the same opportunities to pick easy classes, so everyone can boost their wam the same. yes there is still that aspect, but imo compared to hsc it feels fairer and less like there are a ton of arbitrary systems that you have to play around (notably rankings, which are by far the thing that contributes the most to stress and the “game” of hsc imo)

synthesisFR

HSC
that’s true, uni does have its own game to play in a way and if u really wanna go through a easy degree and max out wam it’s possible, specifically for degrees like business or really flexible degrees like a bsci. however for the less flexible and more stem oriented degrees (and a lot of others) you might only get 4 or so electives outside of your field where you could pick easy stuff, and maybe there’s a couple inside of your field where you could pick easy stuff also. so you still have your whole core of degree to get through, and you can’t just pick easy stuff to get through with max wam

plus at least everyone in the same field will likely have the same opportunities to pick easy classes, so everyone can boost their wam the same. yes there is still that aspect, but imo compared to hsc it feels fairer and less like there are a ton of arbitrary systems that you have to play around (notably rankings, which are by far the thing that contributes the most to stress and the “game” of hsc imo)
does wam matter for employment?
what if i just focus on passing

liamkk112

HSC
depends what you’re going for

if you want to get a lucrative finance role then it matters ofc, if you want to get a job that isn’t necessarily super competitive it’s not that important overall if u have other stuff like work exp, projects etc but it ofc helps to have at least a credit-distinction average, ultimately once u get your first grad role it’s pretty unimportant

synthesisFR

HSC
depends what you’re going for

if you want to get a lucrative finance role then it matters ofc, if you want to get a job that isn’t necessarily super competitive it’s not that important overall if u have other stuff like work exp, projects etc but it ofc helps to have at least a credit-distinction average, ultimately once u get your first grad role it’s pretty unimportant
idek atp my cousin has like 2 businesses at 23 and also got a job straight out of uni because he did his internship and got a payrise already becaues he is doing that well

should i just kms?

wollongong warrior

HSC
Wam matters
if you get an internship, wam doesn't matter as much
The hierarchy in the things that employers care about is as so from what I've heard so far:
wam < projects < internships
but you need enough wam to get past the initial screening (e.g. 85-90+ for quant trading and highly competitive tech jobs, ~70/second class honours for less competitive tech jobs)

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
english should be mandatory (media literacy) but at most half of it should be essays. Even more things like reading comprehension from common mod i think is more valuable.
yes i agree w this so much, i just hate the way english is taught senior years bc it doesn't make sense (imo maybe bc i've never enjoyed the subject since y7 lol) or have any value whatsoever. for a subject that is 'subjective' that is asking ME on my opinion of the book/media form, my teacher loves to dock points for basic shi like she took off marks from my mate for 'too many commas' during y11 creative writing.

liamkk112

HSC
idek atp my cousin has like 2 businesses at 23 and also got a job straight out of uni because he did his internship and got a payrise already becaues he is doing that well

should i just kms?
no

just be smart with your money when time comes and be happy and grateful about the things you have

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)