HSC - Korean-style. (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Did anyone just see the 4-Corners report on the South Korean version of the HSC?

These people prepare for the 8-hour exam from kindergaten. In high school, they step up their study to start at 5am and to finish with extracurricular classes through to 12am. Many suicide under the pressure cooker.

On the actual day, temples are flocked with praying parents, there are no flights - to cut down on noise, people sing "Halleluja" around the schools, it's the day where most emergency calls are made and they now ask students to suicide outside the exam room as to not disuade other examinees.

Some say the HSC is hard...​

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
WOW!!!! Thats insane, you'd be having a nervous break-down as if our HSC wasn't bad enoughh there has to be something worse. Really looking at it, it makes our HSC look like nothing :eek:

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Some say the HSC is hard...​
Who says its hard?

Just a huge waste of time when you think about it. Nothing you learn gets really reused in uni.

Anyways.. do now, think later!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Man, Eagles, how come you always prove to be my freakin' encouragement?

Can you come up to Coffs.Harbour and get payed for every meaningful, encouraging word that spills from your Neoclassical lips!

Ahhh, I remember that Og Mandino quote you first encouraged me with: "I will act now. I will act now. I will act now. Henceforth, I will repeat these words, each hour, each day everyday. Until the words become as much a habit as my breathing..."it goes on, but I can't remember it. I *COULD* check my desktop, 'cause it's there...but I won't, I'll just thank you in street.cred.

..:''ooo

HSC
What is this 4-corners report?

What you have seen is only true to some extent.
Yes, South Korea has one of the world's highest suicide rate around the time the YR 12 exams are on.
BUT this was at the highest only in the 1990s.
Now people realise that going to a good university is not the only way to success.

Many korean parents of the 1990s, have been through the harsh poverty after the war and the only thought in their mind is 'only if im succesful, i can end this poverty'. That's why they want the best of their children - to live a good life. So the pressure their children to study hard.
Now the parents of current days don't know much about poverty. South Korea is now a rich and advanced country and the whole culture is changing. Less and less students feel the need to study that hard to be succesful.

Yes, the korean education system is much much harder than the Australian HSC, but its not like what Gavrillo has just saw/read. Students still DO get good 6+ hrs sleep and have time to go out and play.

i think the problem now, is about computer games... as in korea they have tv channels just dedicated to people playing world tournaments in starcraft, warcraft etc. :)
i think the no.1 in all online games are south koreans. :(

Last edited:

..:''ooo

HSC
And also, they would never ever ask 'please go outside and suicide'.
Think about it.
That's just bullshit to the bullshit.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
..:''ooo said:
And also, they would never ever ask 'please go outside and suicide'.
Think about it.
That's just bullshit to the bullshit.
And the new South Korean attache' to Australia is...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Eagles said:
Who says its hard?

Just a huge waste of time when you think about it. Nothing you learn gets really reused in uni.

*looks at his notes which are currently helping in ancient history, philosophy, culture, media and music and then wonders if he should use all the skills learnt from hsc*

*is confused*

So you mean, im NOT suppose to reuse these?

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Man, Eagles, how come you always prove to be my freakin' encouragement?

Can you come up to Coffs.Harbour and get payed for every meaningful, encouraging word that spills from your Neoclassical lips!

Ahhh, I remember that Og Mandino quote you first encouraged me with: "I will act now. I will act now. I will act now. Henceforth, I will repeat these words, each hour, each day everyday. Until the words become as much a habit as my breathing..."it goes on, but I can't remember it. I *COULD* check my desktop, 'cause it's there...but I won't, I'll just thank you in street.cred.
Sure, that'll be easy :)

I have a huge collection of inspirating quotes that I collected during the HSC.
Here's another one that I just digged up.

IThere is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.
- W. Clement Stone

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
AsyLum said:
*looks at his notes which are currently helping in ancient history, philosophy, culture, media and music and then wonders if he should use all the skills learnt from hsc*

*is confused*

So you mean, im NOT suppose to reuse these?
nope,

the whole purpose of university is: learn to learn.

which is why companys.. example given to me was:
IBM comes to the uni and not necessary choose the best student from the computing faculty. Rather, they would employ some top student from a totally different faculty, like science.

The reason being: Uni teaches you learn to LEARN; also they don't want a smartass computer geek who thinks he/she knows everything about computers (and hence not listen to his superiors) to work for them.

so yeah.. get the idea?

IceBreaker

HSC
Eagles said:
Who says its hard?

yes but you have to understand people are doing the HSC to get into uni, and yes some of it helps not necessarily reused but is assumed knowledge.

IceBreaker

HSC
..:''ooo said:
What is this 4-corners report?

What you have seen is only true to some extent.
Yes, South Korea has one of the world's highest suicide rate around the time the YR 12 exams are on.
BUT this was at the highest only in the 1990s.
Now people realise that going to a good university is not the only way to success.

Many korean parents of the 1990s, have been through the harsh poverty after the war and the only thought in their mind is 'only if im succesful, i can end this poverty'. That's why they want the best of their children - to live a good life. So the pressure their children to study hard.
Now the parents of current days don't know much about poverty. South Korea is now a rich and advanced country and the whole culture is changing. Less and less students feel the need to study that hard to be succesful.

Yes, the korean education system is much much harder than the Australian HSC, but its not like what Gavrillo has just saw/read. Students still DO get good 6+ hrs sleep and have time to go out and play.

i think the problem now, is about computer games... as in korea they have tv channels just dedicated to people playing world tournaments in starcraft, warcraft etc. :)
i think the no.1 in all online games are south koreans. :(
ahahaha yes Starcraft is very popular in korea, i used to play it on Aus-1, fun times used kor words like 'Gosu' & 'Chobo'

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Argonaut said:
I guess the theory is that only the smart people will live to further the glory of the Motherland!
Ahahaha, MOTHERLAND! FIRE ZEEE MISSILES!

But I'm le tired! Okay, have a nap. THEN, FIRE ZEE MISSILES!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I used to play too!

But I loved UMS games. Did you play Turret Defence? Ahhh, my favourite.

santaslayer

HSC
All Asians are freaks when it comes to study. Esp if it was the equivalent to the Australian HSC. It's not ONLY the Koreans.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Gavrillo said:
I used to play too!

I still play (man do i needa get new games or what?!)

Just sport UMS though.. sniper/basketball/volleyball/baseball/dodgeball/speedball etc.

lol, just sigged your other post :D

IceBreaker

HSC
Gavrillo said:
I used to play too!

lol thats newbie man, should of playes 2v2/3v3 hunters

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Yeah i saw the documentary, and can u still believe that the same types of students are here in Australia doing the HSC.

But i guess its sad and those students dont realise it. What can u do, but people have different ways to approach the HSC and i guess you have to respect that but I still feel sad for those who waste the last year of their school life by just studying at home for the whole year. They may get the mark they or they might not. There are plenty of people who do very well in school and still have a life (I'd like to believe that Im one of those ppl).

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
the exams are just a way of choosing uni students, there is absolutely no reason to go this far. are they trying to create a happy, educated young generation or are they conducting a gradual massacre?

i know many asian countries put lots of pressure on high school students, but i've heard of nothing like this. i think the chinese system is already bad enough, killing students' youth, restraining creativity and individuality. if south korea is really doing this to its young people, i don't see why their country deserves a bright future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)