HSC - Korean-style. (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
the exams are just a way of choosing uni students, there is absolutely no reason to go this far. are they trying to create a happy, educated young generation or are they conducting a gradual massacre?

i know many asian countries put lots of pressure on high school students, but i've heard of nothing like this. i think the chinese system is already bad enough, killing students' youth, restraining creativity and individuality. if south korea is really doing this to its young people, i don't see why their country deserves a bright future.
I'm actually following in their footsteps at the moment, yay Korea!

By day: Study
By night: Starcraft.

Can it be beat?...yes.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Gavrillo said:
Did anyone just see the 4-Corners report on the South Korean version of the HSC?

These people prepare for the 8-hour exam from kindergaten. In high school, they step up their study to start at 5am and to finish with extracurricular classes through to 12am. Many suicide under the pressure cooker.

On the actual day, temples are flocked with praying parents, there are no flights - to cut down on noise, people sing "Halleluja" around the schools, it's the day where most emergency calls are made and they now ask students to suicide outside the exam room as to not disuade other examinees.

Some say the HSC is hard...​
Yeah but four corners isn't exactly reliable... is it? God if it is, that's insane. I'd become a fugitive.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Eagles said:
nope,

the whole purpose of university is: learn to learn.

which is why companys.. example given to me was:
IBM comes to the uni and not necessary choose the best student from the computing faculty. Rather, they would employ some top student from a totally different faculty, like science.

The reason being: Uni teaches you learn to LEARN; also they don't want a smartass computer geek who thinks he/she knows everything about computers (and hence not listen to his superiors) to work for them.

so yeah.. get the idea?
You talk about this like you're in Uni and know what it's like. You are meant to remember and re-use the stuff you learnt in high school, that's why they have "assumed knowledge" for courses. Back in the day they used to prerequisites but they calmed that down, but it's still incredibly hard if you haven't taken a similar subject in high school.

You're whole idea of "learn to learn" is stupid. You still get exams, in fact you get quizzes every week where you get tested on everything you've meant to have learnt in lectures, labs and pracs, and assumed knowledge from high school. You need to have the ability to learn, and you need to know all your stuff. Uni isn't just about making your brain work, it's about knowing everything plus more that's in your course.

(P.S *companies)

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Like the whole American Grade-point average thingo? Ugh, I dunno.

If that were the case then the truely smart people would rise to the foamy top, unlike the case now where we disreputable antagonists are able to disuade these truely smart people with our bag of tricks...ruining their chances of HSC sucess by throwing irresistable nerd parties before Half-Yearly exams and telling them that smoking helps your exam marks.

Ahh but not for the naiivity of youth...

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Gavrillo said:
Did anyone just see the 4-Corners report on the South Korean version of the HSC?

These people prepare for the 8-hour exam from kindergaten. In high school, they step up their study to start at 5am and to finish with extracurricular classes through to 12am. Many suicide under the pressure cooker.

On the actual day, temples are flocked with praying parents, there are no flights - to cut down on noise, people sing "Halleluja" around the schools, it's the day where most emergency calls are made and they now ask students to suicide outside the exam room as to not disuade other examinees.

Some say the HSC is hard...​
No, I didn't catch it; but I learnt a bit about it when I did Asian Social Studies i9n year 9 & 10.

It is amazing how different countries do things, I find it really interesting learning about it! :uhhuh:

Although this is so, I think that the pressures that are faced by kids our age in Korea or even in Japan are too high; and is so dangerous for the kids!
I do know that it is a different culture and that they take education VERY seriously, but I do think that there are other ways in which the children of these counties could still succeed in their studies while at the same time not being driven to suicide. This is NOT the way to have a happier, healthier and better of race of people!

It's VERY scary to think that they are faced with so much pressure that they can no longer deal with anything and end their life! :(

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I think the Chinese college entrance exam is similar to the korean one in that both are rote learned and my cousin said she hitched a ride from a cop to her morning exam!
The exams don't encourage creative ''thinking'' [hence why you don't see many Nobel prize winners] it's one thing to actively engage and critically challenge - stupid edu system needs reform!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
if thats actually true, then it is scary...i cant imagine ever going through that. it makes me feel kinda ashamed though, that i procrastinate so much and dont study enough... *pointedly ignores the 7 foot pile of english work she has to do tonight* those poor kids.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Our principle just told us "We can all take a page out of Johnny Chinese's book...I want you all to study at least 10 hours a day during the HSC."

*facepalm* - Where to start?

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
*looks at his notes which are currently helping in ancient history, philosophy, culture, media and music and then wonders if he should use all the skills learnt from hsc*
I don't care what anyone says, but AH teaches you research and writing skills much beyond many of the other uni subs.

Although i haven't seen the 4 Corners report. I'am korean and i'm consistently hounded by my family how lazy I'am...
Somedays i study 12hrs some days only 3, 2 or even 1....
My relatives study from 5am until 1am, and my cousin only has the luxury or 4hrs of sleep every single day for the last what... 3 years? lol
Of course it makes Australia's HSC look like child's play but you have to understand that there are at least 15 times more students in korea than aus and that every single one of them have aspirations of making it into uni.
However, their HSC exam are all multiple choice and their maths are no calc. therefore all the logs and area calculations must be done in their head.
Bearing this in mind they only know of this type of lifestyle. There are no real apprenterships, SC or anything like that in korea. So basically you stuff that day of exams... your life is ended.
Korea is very populated and as a result there is a high competition. Note that korea's unis are not ranked highly. So although the fight and struggle to get into uni over there is exponentially higher! Australia's standard of tertiary edu. is much higher.
They all live like that over there...

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Member said:
Although i haven't seen the 4 Corners report. I'am korean and i'm consistently hounded by my family how lazy I'am...
Somedays i study 12hrs some days only 3, 2 or even 1....
My relatives study from 5am until 1am, and my cousin only has the luxury or 4hrs of sleep every single day for the last what... 3 years? lol
Of course it makes Australia's HSC look like child's play but you have to understand that there are at least 15 times more students in korea than aus and that every single one of them have aspirations of making it into uni.
However, their HSC exam are all multiple choice and their maths are no calc. therefore all the logs and area calculations must be done in their head.
Bearing this in mind they only know of this type of lifestyle. There are no real apprenterships, SC or anything like that in korea. So basically you stuff that day of exams... your life is ended.
Korea is very populated and as a result there is a high competition. Note that korea's unis are not ranked highly. So although the fight and struggle to get into uni over there is exponentially higher! Australia's standard of tertiary edu. is much higher.
They all live like that over there...
Freaky... but believable..

hmmm.. i might try to study from 5.am until 1.am just once in the upcoming days... i'll see how it goes...

of course their bodies would be used to it if they've been doing this for ...'3 years' but usually i only get 5-7 hours sleep max.. so i'm willing to reduce my sleep for one particular day and hopefully i'll make it through....

I'd like to know.... do they get breaks at any given time for a certain amount of time... ?... do they have lunch at their study desks?

although their routines may sound crazy.... but i admire their determination and mind control and the fact that they are able to exert so much effort even at such a young age... (excluding those who commit suicide...)

studynoob

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
"Would all students sitting the 2 Unit Suicide Exam please report to the quad ..."
haha!!! *laughs*

yep im korean and im appalled by the shits the korean students go through sad but true! my cousin got a scolarship into the top uni in korea and she's doing history! impressive huh?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
It's the same in China. High-school students barely get much sleep due to the workload they're under. My relatives in China stay up until 12 am just to finish their assigned homework.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)