HSC Legal studies and Law (1 Viewer)

omg_a

HSC
I know legal studies isn't a prerequisite for studying law at uni, but how helpful is it to have studied legal studies at school when starting law at uni? I didn't study legal studies as it wasn't offered at my school. Is this a disadvantage to really not know anything? Although I did do Mock Trial in year 11, maybe that would help?

Or does law at uni just move way past the legal studies syllabus very quickly so it doesn't matter?

mack

Banned
HSC
I think "Foundations of Law" helps non-legal students catch up. Either that or the course starts off with HSC and Prelim legal work, which is rehash for those who did legal in high school.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
You do not need to have done Legal Studies at all.

At UNSW specifically, Foundations of Law covers everything you'll need to know, and the short introductory books such as "Understanding the Australian Legal System" -- which you can read in an hour or two -- and the couse booklet, provide enough of a mental welcome to the course. Additionally you don't get tested on the historical material.

Personally, I didn't do Legal Studies and I received an 81 for Foundations. Interest is all you need!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
You dont need to have done legal studies, but when i did first year subjects last year, there was no intro law topic like there are this year. and truthfully, it came in handy in regards to latin terms (eg. mala prohibita), but again, these are easily learnt and will most probably be explained in the new subject. It seemed that those who did legal studies had a general grasp, but by the end of first year, everyones on an equal level.

Jonathan A

HSC
You will find HSC Legal Studies quite different from Law at University. Whilst the general elements of the law taught in HSC are equivalent to Uni Law, Legal Studies is a social science, you ask "Is the law effective?". Law studies are much more complicated. An example is if you did Consumers in Legal Studies, in Contract Law at Uni, you will find that although you learnt the 6 elements of a contract, it is far more complicated, with ifs and buts and exemptions. Furthermore, when you throw Equity Law into it, your remedies and analysis of problem changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)