• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC Legal Studies (1 Viewer)

Did you do HSC Legal Studies?

• Yay

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Just wondering how many law students did/didnt do the hsc legal studies. I didnt.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
bearpooh said:
Legal studies is for dummies who want to be secretaries or paralegals.

1. It drags down your UAI
2. When you are at uni, the first year foundations of law subject
covers the material done in Legal studies in around 2 lectures.
Legal studies at high school or university?

Legal studies doesn't drag down your UAI. UAIs are only dragged down if you do poorly in a subject. If you get a B6 in any subject it doesn't 'drag down' anything.

Though, legal studies was a BS course. I wasn't very impressed that all the articles we got were from the Daily Telegraph and ACA/TT. Oh well, I still went fine in it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
My how brave we become with 1000 ks inbetween...
But is legal studies a significant help in understanding university law?

Jonathan A

HSC
bearpooh said:
Legal studies is for dummies who want to be secretaries or paralegals.

1. It drags down your UAI
2. When you are at uni, the first year foundations of law subject
covers the material done in Legal studies in around 2 lectures.

In some ways you are correct, (BUT NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO CALL ANOTHER A DUMMY). I did legal studies. The things to be careful about include:

1. The HSC is a dogmatic course - hence it says there is a right answer and wrong answer and thats how your structure should be. In law, there is no right or wrong answer, its your reasoning that counts.
2. The legal studies subject tries to simplify complicated areas of law, e.g. contract law and hence students may under-estimate that area when approaching it in uni. E.g. Legal Studies in consumers covers elements of contract in one lesson, in uni this takes up at least half the semester with extra reading.

As for bearpooh, firstly your UAI is not important when you are out in the real world, there are many ways of gaining an entry into law. if you work hard in legal studies, it wont drag your UAI down as much. As for your second point, legal studies actually will need a lot more than two lectures to cover its areas. Trust me, I have foundation law units and i have done legal studies.

= Jennifer =

HSC
i also did legal studies and was able to obtain 91 for both my hsc mark and exam mark in conclusion, as the many members have already said if you work hard in the subject it wont scale you down and i believe that the terms that you have learnt in legal studies will provide with some grounding for further study in tertiary years

Lainee

HSC
Asquithian said:
You continue to make yourself look like a total fuckwit. Not look. You are a fuckwit. High and mighty attitude with nothing to back it up. Anyone who has done any law can tell that you are a high and mighty ignorant fuck who prances around like he can look down on people who bother to do subjects that relate to law...and then have the arrogance, hide and stupidity to call those who took it upon themselves to learn about the law at highschool 'dummies'...

Has Mr irony hit you over the head yet with a lead pipe yet? Law students that did legal (Plenty of them) in high school are dummies? wtf?

LOL definately repped.

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
Mmmm..well doing Legal Studies does help you to gain an interest in the area, I know guys that did Legal Studies and they just love reading about Legal issues and doing Law stuff, so when they do Law in uni it would come naturally for them as they have quite alot of interest in Law, as for guys like me that haven't done law, we might not be disadvantaged that much but we sure don't have that much of an interest in law compared to guys that have be doing legal studies for the past 2 years and want to continue it on to Uni, which helps them as they get taught stuff.

I might be wrong but I guess legal studies helps you to understand what Law is all about unlike me who has no idea what he is getting himself into, I might not like it at ALL for all i know at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)