• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC marks ? (1 Viewer)

lanamariie

HSC
heey you guys, please answer me honestly !

I am studying through distance education and I live overseas. I was given the choice whether to sit my exams where I am or back in Australia. I was wondering if sitting the exams here affects my hsc mark in any way ? Also, how is the hsc mark calculated. When they say the hsc mark is 50:50 between the exam mark and the assessment mark does that mean that only 50% of the marks i get from the exam count ?

also, say if i got 75% on an assignment in school, once that it passed on to the board of studies does that change ? like do they moderate it for all student across the state to be fair because some schools mark harder than the other?

Please explain.. I have to decide where i want to sit soon and i need to know if It'll affect my mark even though im sitting it here still under my school name?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Wait. Where do you live??

I didn't think they allow students to sit it overseas

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It won't matter where you sit the exam. If you are comfortable where you are then sit them there.

As for your marks - your school will submit the final assessment marks from you assessment tasks - not task by task. That final mark is then moderated using the exam as the guide and the moderated mark is worth 50% of the final mark. The exam is the other 50% of the mark. Whatever exam mark you get will be yours regardless but your assessment mark can change to adjust it for fairness across the state - as you said to allow for different tasks and the different ways teachers mark them.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Wait. Where do you live??

I didn't think they allow students to sit it overseas
Students can and do sit the exam overseas for a number of reasons e.g. junior rugby league teams touring Britain at the time of the exams can sit them overseas (we have had a student do that while representing Australia's under 17s); overseas students who return home during the year can sit them in their home country (again I have had a student do that); students whose parents are working overseas for some reason can also sit the exams overseas and finally some overseas schools actually offer the HSC as their programme of study e.g. students in Tonga sit the HSC - I have been there when the HSC papers from those schools have arrived in Australia - like a week before final results have to be sent to students so last minute marking by SOMs.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Students can and do sit the exam overseas for a number of reasons e.g. junior rugby league teams touring Britain at the time of the exams can sit them overseas (we have had a student do that while representing Australia's under 17s); overseas students who return home during the year can sit them in their home country (again I have had a student do that); students whose parents are working overseas for some reason can also sit the exams overseas and finally some overseas schools actually offer the HSC as their programme of study e.g. students in Tonga sit the HSC - I have been there when the HSC papers from those schools have arrived in Australia - like a week before final results have to be sent to students so last minute marking by SOMs.
I never knew that..Thanks :)

lanamariie

HSC
I live in Abu Dhabi and have been for a few years, but i have been homeschooling with a School called Karabar Distance Education Centre. Im sitting my hsc exams at the end of this year and like i said I was given the choice whether to sit them here (where they will organise an exam centre and supervisor) or in Australia at a school of my choice; therefore the school I used to attend when i was in Australia. Thing is i dont want to sit my exams in Aus and Id rather than do them here and go to australia for a holiday some other time, but i want to know if doing them here will affect my mark?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
It shouldn't. I don't see a reason why it would.

Do it where you are comfortable

lanamariie

HSC
It won't matter where you sit the exam. If you are comfortable where you are then sit them there.

As for your marks - your school will submit the final assessment marks from you assessment tasks - not task by task. That final mark is then moderated using the exam as the guide and the moderated mark is worth 50% of the final mark. The exam is the other 50% of the mark. Whatever exam mark you get will be yours regardless but your assessment mark can change to adjust it for fairness across the state - as you said to allow for different tasks and the different ways teachers mark them.
Thanks for that .. so i dont have to worry about losing marks because of where I sit it ?

enoilgam

HSC
Yes.

And cem is a very good reliable teacher. So we can all trust him/her
This pretty much, I would trust what cem says on this because this is quite an unusual situation and she seems to know the process extremely well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)