hsc maths level required for major in finance? (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
what level of hsc maths is required/recommended for finance? thanks

michael1990

HSC
I have no idea, but i always thought you could do a Maths degree at UNI even if you didn't do the right Mathematics level in High School.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
I have no idea, but i always thought you could do a Maths degree at UNI even if you didn't do the right Mathematics level in High School.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Bridging courses :D

Depends if by finance you mean Quant/actuary shit or accountiong stuff i guess

BackCountrySnow

HSC
mathematics (band 2+) is assumed knowledge for finance at mq.
band 2, makes me lol..

EDIT: or was it band 3?
i'm not sure now....

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
mathematics (band 2+) is assumed knowledge for finance at mq.
band 2, makes me lol..

EDIT: or was it band 3?
i'm not sure now....
Thats just sad,

-Does a double degree in Commerce (Quant Finance+Quant Economics) and Maths/Computer Science (Statistics)

michael1990

HSC
Its strange...

Query now.

If i enrol at a UNI like UWS and there is no assumed knowledge for Finance and UOW have the same course but wanted assumed knowledge of Band 4 2 Unit Maths. Does that mean i can transfer into that course after my first year at UWS holding a credit average or whatever it is???

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
Its strange...

Query now.

If i enrol at a UNI like UWS and there is no assumed knowledge for Finance and UOW have the same course but wanted assumed knowledge of Band 4 2 Unit Maths. Does that mean i can transfer into that course after my first year at UWS holding a credit average or whatever it is???
I guess so,

If you do a year's alright then you can prove to the uni that you understand the maths involved in finance

michael1990

HSC
Studentleader said:
I guess so,

If you do a year's alright then you can prove to the uni that you understand the maths involved in finance
this is how i thought of it as well.

So if i do bad in the HSC then it will be okay, i will just go to UWS lol then transfer. But do you have to do that year again? or do you go straight to the second?

Also do you have to transfer after a year or can it be a shorter amount of time?

Finance would be heaps good fun, but the Maths would be the only problem for me as i do General Maths.

~ari

is well hung
HSC
michael1990 said:
Its strange...

Query now.

UWS has band 4 for 2 unit or 3 unit as a prerequisite for many finance and econometrics subjects. Just because the course doesn't have it as a requirement does not mean the individual subjects don't.

So if i do bad in the HSC then it will be okay, i will just go to UWS lol then transfer. But do you have to do that year again? or do you go straight to the second?

Also do you have to transfer after a year or can it be a shorter amount of time?

Finance would be heaps good fun, but the Maths would be the only problem for me as i do General Maths.
1. If you get credit for the year completed at UWS depends on the subjects taken.
2. You can try to transfer after the first semester but not all courses are available.
3. Finance is maths
maths is not fun
.'. finance is not fun

P

pLuvia

Arithela said:
what level of hsc maths is required/recommended for finance? thanks
2 unit maths is suffice or no maths is ok as well.

You can always take the easiest level of maths at uni anyway, that's if your degree allows it

williamc

HSC
lol all these 08'ers.

I do an applied finance degree.

It does involve basic calulus, and solving some algerbic expressions though methods such as logs, exp, linear interpolation etc.

The maths isn't hard, but you need to understand the logic behind it all, memorising formula's won't really help you.

Anyone that got a band 4+ in 2 unit won't find the maths itself hard, just getting your head around the concepts may be a little more difficult.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
You do realise that you UAI is considered when you try to transfer?

If you do a bridging course you should be fine. As williamc said, you can't just memorise the formulas because you need to understand the underlying concepts.

michael1990

HSC
Loz_metalhead said:
You do realise that you UAI is considered when you try to transfer?.
REALLY???

i never thought this would be the case. I thought that if you held like a credit average or such it would be fine for you to transfer. Providing the UNI thought that was up to scratch of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)