HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

Bored of Studies

Administrator
Administrator

What does the community think of HSC Mobile Apps?
There are many good ones out there but what about them do you think are especially useful or what aspects do you think make them not so valuable.

An old friend of the website has created a cool app that will help you with preparing for the HSCs. Check out Cram Station.

The Crammers have launched a series of apps, click on the following download links and let us know what you think.

Business Studies – Android: Download Here
Business Studies – iOS: Download Here

Math General 2 – Android: Download Here
Math General 2 – iOS: Download Here

Math 2 Unit – Android: Download Here
Math 2 Unit – iOS: Download Here

Biology - Android: Download Here
Biology - iOS: Download Here

Kaan709

HSC
Why restrict the content of the apps, and require users to pay for a premium account? Isn't the purpose to reform conventional studying to meet societies reliance on tech, and ease of access? Or to give everyone an equal opportunity to education, regardless of money? How can our right to education, be in your terms, a privilege?

I have many more questions, but unfortunately I come from a lower socioeconomic area, so I wouldn't be able to afford the 'premium' of unlocking all of your answers.

P.S. It's NESA not BOS...

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Why restrict the content of the apps, and require users to pay for a premium account? Isn't the purpose to reform conventional studying to meet societies reliance on tech, and ease of access? Or to give everyone an equal opportunity to education, regardless of money? How can our right to education, be in your terms, a privilege?

I have many more questions, but unfortunately I come from a lower socioeconomic area, so I wouldn't be able to afford the 'premium' of unlocking all of your answers.

Where is the bold part stated? Do you pay for clothes? Shouldn't wearing clothes be a privilege? If so why do clothes cost money?

Neil_

HSC

Developing apps and such take time, developers need to make money. It's one's choice if they want to pay or not just as it's someone's choice to attend a public school or a private school.

mycoolstory

HSC
Where is the bold part stated? Do you pay for clothes? Shouldn't wearing clothes be a privilege? If so why do clothes cost money?
You can't really say that because the two are completely different in their contexts. I neither disagree or agree with your view, but, the app should be free to some extend and not restricted to "buy to survive" like most apps.

Flop21

HSC

Get a job then

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A

People need to work for money (and to survive), it isn't fair that they're working for nothing in return

Imagine you had a shop selling food and worked very long hours for your family. If no one paid for the food you sold to them how would you feel?

You get where I'm coming from? These apps are wants not needs.

Kaan709

HSC
Developing apps and such take time, developers need to make money. It's one's choice if they want to pay or not just as it's someone's choice to attend a public school or a private school.
Get a job then
People need to work for money (and to survive), it isn't fair that they're working for nothing in return

Imagine you had a shop selling food and worked very long hours for your family. If no one paid for the food you sold to them how would you feel?

You get where I'm coming from? These apps are wants not needs.
The notion that education's a privilege has been negated both on a domestic and international level; seen in numerous conventions – ICESCR and statutes – Education Act. To which 164 countries agree with and have, or are implementing free education. States are doing this because they know that education builds the wealth of the nation [https://phys.org/news/2011-10-country-wealth-knowledge.html].

To be clear, BOSTES/NESA is a government agency, in which receives funds via. NSW State government (the 2017 Budget has redirected $19b into public schools). That being said, the developers of the app are working for the government, and have been paid.

Also, as said before, the purpose of this app was to adapt studying and learning to current technology, as to "keep up with the times".

Out of 41 middle-high income countries, we're ranking 39th. We've now allowed universities to determine their own prices, and are introducing interests rates to CSP (formerly HECS) up to 6%. University will be a privilege, or a gamble of becoming successful or miserably poor.

Education is a collective right. It's a mutualistic relationship. It develops our personality.

I'll leave that with you, food for thought.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
The notion that education's a privilege has been negated both on a domestic and international level; seen in numerous conventions – ICESCR and statutes – Education Act. To which 164 countries agree with and have, or are implementing free education. States are doing this because they know that education builds the wealth of the nation [https://phys.org/news/2011-10-country-wealth-knowledge.html].

To be clear, BOSTES/NESA is a government agency, in which receives funds via. NSW State government (the 2017 Budget has redirected $19b into public schools). That being said, the developers of the app are working for the government, and have been paid.

Also, as said before, the purpose of this app was to adapt studying and learning to current technology, as to "keep up with the times".

Out of 41 middle-high income countries, we're ranking 39th. We've now allowed universities to determine their own prices, and are introducing interests rates to CSP (formerly HECS) up to 6%. University will be a privilege, or a gamble of becoming successful or miserably poor.

Education is a collective right. It's a mutualistic relationship. It develops our personality.

I still don't see where you are reading that the app should be free. Also in the bold part, the app is achieving just that, it's using modern technology, i.e. apps on the phone/ipad/android to modernise education rather than in books.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Haha. Damn I guess that teenage entitlement has gone to your head stronger than others?

1. Where are you getting that they are working for the government? This forum is not a government forum, it's BORED of studies not BOARD of studies. Plus OP even says a friend of the site... not the site.

2. You don't get to throw what you think is a right at businesses and demand free things. E.g. food is a right, but can I go to McDonald's and DEMAND free food because it's my right to eat?

Nah.

Oh and here's an idea, if you want this for free, get off your butt and learn the skills to make something like this and make it for free all!

Stop being stupid kid.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Can I just say these apps are made by independent contractors (I think) and has nothing to do with NESA, public schools or private schools (as in people from the following weren’t involved in making these apps I suppose)

I know you think that these apps should be for free because it’s education and everyone should have their own respective rights to education but at public schools all the government can do is fund teachers, HT’s, deputy principals, principals, admin staff, a technical officer and resources for student learning (textbooks, musical instruments, paper, etc). At one school that is already heaps of funding and it would cost more than $1 million to fund that just at one school (depending on school and its size) for one year and note that they would have to do that for hundreds of high schools. You also need to note that the government does this for primary schools as well as tertiary institutions (i.e. universities). Do you see how much money the government already funds education? I just don’t understand why you demand more, especially when these apps aren’t made with people involved with the NESA, public and private high schools (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

And since these apps are made by independent contractors, funding for it is much more difficult than high schools. The reason why you are allowed to attend high school for ‘free’ (with the exception of school fees) is that the government does all the funding on your behalf and I see with your attitude, you’re not grateful for that and want more? Does the government fund these cram station apps? I doubt they would because of the fact they already need to fund so many schools in the state

Honestly, I understand you’re unhappy with the fact that these apps cost money however you need to realise (and this has been said numerous times but you’ve just refused to accept the truth) that people need money to survive. It isn’t fair that their giving up their precious time for nothing in return. Imagine you worked long hours and you got nothing in return? These people could actually end up enjoying themselves as opposed to making these apps to “sell” but they choose the latter (which I will not bother to explain). Yes everyone wants free education however you need to realise that 1)people need money to survive, they aren’t doing it to rip people off 2)the government wont bother funding these apps because they are made by independent contractors

And honestly I hope that you understand that these people aren’t money grubbers. They do it because they need money. I think you are the greedy one who is always demanding such things and just doesn’t want to accept the fact that these apps cost money. You need to face reality that there are a bunch of services that cost money and the reason why they cost money is because people need to survive

tl dr: the goverment has so much to already fund hence they wont bother with these apps however people need to work money, they're not money grubbers and it's not fair that they're working for free. Mind you these apps are made by independent contractors, not the government

Kaan709

HSC
Haha. Damn I guess that teenage entitlement has gone to your head stronger than others?

1. Where are you getting that they are working for the government? This forum is not a government forum, it's BORED of studies not BOARD of studies. Plus OP even says a friend of the site... not the site.

2. You don't get to throw what you think is a right at businesses and demand free things. E.g. food is a right, but can I go to McDonald's and DEMAND free food because it's my right to eat?

Nah.

Oh and here's an idea, if you want this for free, get off your butt and learn the skills to make something like this and make it for free all!

Stop being stupid kid.

1. Your analogies still fly past the point.

2. I work 15 hours a week to support myself financially (clothes, school supplies, food etc.). Have been doing that most of my high school life, and i'm not complaining about it. But to thousands of other kids doing the same, it's hard to have an equal playing field when you've been financially disadvantaged.

Can I just say these apps are made by independent contractors (I think) and has nothing to do with NESA, public schools or private schools (as in people from the following weren’t involved in making these apps I suppose)

I know you think that these apps should be for free because it’s education and everyone should have their own respective rights to education but at public schools all the government can do is fund teachers, HT’s, deputy principals, principals, admin staff, a technical officer and resources for student learning (textbooks, musical instruments, paper, etc). At one school that is already heaps of funding and it would cost more than $1 million to fund that just at one school (depending on school and its size) for one year and note that they would have to do that for hundreds of high schools. You also need to note that the government does this for primary schools as well as tertiary institutions (i.e. universities). Do you see how much money the government already funds education? I just don’t understand why you demand more, especially when these apps aren’t made with people involved with the NESA, public and private high schools (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

And since these apps are made by independent contractors, funding for it is much more difficult than high schools. The reason why you are allowed to attend high school for ‘free’ (with the exception of school fees) is that the government does all the funding on your behalf and I see with your attitude, you’re not grateful for that and want more? Does the government fund these cram station apps? I doubt they would because of the fact they already need to fund so many schools in the state

Honestly, I understand you’re unhappy with the fact that these apps cost money however you need to realise (and this has been said numerous times but you’ve just refused to accept the truth) that people need money to survive. It isn’t fair that their giving up their precious time for nothing in return. Imagine you worked long hours and you got nothing in return? These people could actually end up enjoying themselves as opposed to making these apps to “sell” but they choose the latter (which I will not bother to explain). Yes everyone wants free education however you need to realise that 1)people need money to survive, they aren’t doing it to rip people off 2)the government wont bother funding these apps because they are made by independent contractors

And honestly I hope that you understand that these people aren’t money grubbers. They do it because they need money. I think you are the greedy one who is always demanding such things and just doesn’t want to accept the fact that these apps cost money. You need to face reality that there are a bunch of services that cost money and the reason why they cost money is because people need to survive

tl dr: the goverment has so much to already fund hence they wont bother with these apps however people need to work money, they're not money grubbers and it's not fair that they're working for free. Mind you these apps are made by independent contractors, not the government

Thank you for having an educated response, instead of personal attacks. My assumption was that the apps were working closely with BOSTES, as emails and other advertisement was sent through my EDU email.

The government does fund education to a higher standard, yet we can see that Study booklets (Past Exams) are being sold; as with the app. I just find it ironic that we can spend $122 million on a postal plebiscite (non-binding), and $164 million on drug testing welfare recipients, yet proactive measures are budgeted.

I personally don't think the app is all that great, yet. However, my argument resides with the thousands of disadvantaged kids.

Deferred, Ad nauseam.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I personally don't think the app is all that great, yet. However, my argument resides with the thousands of disadvantaged kids.

Deferred, Ad nauseam.
You're legit the only person on the entire forum complaining your argument resides with yourself only

HSC
You're legit the only person on the entire forum complaining your argument resides with yourself only
there is no need to be hostile

Kaan's point about the inequity and reduced educational opportunities for disadvantaged groups is a valid concern and a pretty big issue that should be addressed (ie affirmative action, but that still doesnt solve the root cause and can limit opportunities for other groups of people). However, I do agree that the developers have a right to be paid for their work, and aren't really accountable for society's big problems l 0 l (or r theyyyy ppl&politics.jpg)

To answer OP: I would be hesitant to use these apps since notes/books are nice and pretty portable to start with :^) Add in the cost, and its a nay

Flop21

HSC
there is no need to be hostile

Kaan's point about the inequity and reduced educational opportunities for disadvantaged groups is a valid concern and a pretty big issue that should be addressed (ie affirmative action, but that still doesnt solve the root cause and can limit opportunities for other groups of people). However, I do agree that the developers have a right to be paid for their work, and aren't really accountable for society's big problems l 0 l (or r theyyyy ppl&politics.jpg)

To answer OP: I would be hesitant to use these apps since notes/books are nice and pretty portable to start with :^) Add in the cost, and its a nay
Do something about it then. Don't sit in a forum and complain when you're doing nothing to solve it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)