Hsc modern history - scaling? (1 Viewer)

sarah-j-

HSC
N/A
I've been looking on atar calculators and stuff, does modern history realllllly scale that fucking bad? :/

D94

HSC
N/A
I've been looking on atar calculators and stuff, does modern history realllllly scale that fucking bad? :/
Well, it depends on what mark you put. Although, you may be mistaken with what mark you placed in. You need to place in the HSC mark, which means it has been aligned and scaled by the Board of Studies. So, iirc, 84/100 would be aligned and scaled to 90, so putting in 90 in the AtarCalculator will get you a 96.2 for the ATAR calculations (ie. University entrance score).

So Modern History scales pretty nicely, especially as 84/100 is like getting 21/25 for each section.

Last edited:

sarah-j-

HSC
N/A
So, I put in like a 75 to just see how that would go, and it goes to like a 65...?

Would that be correct-ish?

Sorry, all this stuff confuses me. :S

It's just modern is my worst subject and everything else I will get mid-80s/90s for and I want to make sure if I tank modern I can still get the atar for my course. ahaha

enoilgam

HSC
Modern history is one of the best scaling humanities subjects (second only to economics) and is a very strong scaler overall. This is especially the case for marks in the 90's.

sarah-j-

HSC
N/A
okay, so if I came 19/53 at a school ranked in the 140s and I get say 78% in the exam what would that mean? :/

D94

HSC
N/A
So, I put in like a 75 to just see how that would go, and it goes to like a 65...?

Would that be correct-ish?

Sorry, all this stuff confuses me. :S

It's just modern is my worst subject and everything else I will get mid-80s/90s for and I want to make sure if I tank modern I can still get the atar for my course. ahaha
The marks you put into the ATAR calculator are your final marks which have been aligned and scaled according to your cohort and the state. This isn't the raw mark you get in the exam, as with my example, getting an 84/100 raw mark would potentially be scaled to a 90/100, and when placed in the ATAR calculator, that 90 turns into a 96.2 points (remember, ATAR is a rank).

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
The marks you put into the ATAR calculator are your final marks which have been aligned and scaled according to your cohort and the state. This isn't the raw mark you get in the exam, as with my example, getting an 84/100 raw mark would potentially be scaled to a 90/100, and when placed in the ATAR calculator, that 90 turns into a 96.2 points (remember, ATAR is a rank).
This

okay, so if I came 19/53 at a school ranked in the 140s and I get say 78% in the exam what would that mean? :/
You would probably be looking at an external mark of 85-87 maybe.

fakermaker

HSC
I'm dumb as fuck...but does cohort refer to your school or the state?

How does it affect aligning? I'm coming 1/5 students. I'm on 91/100 ...the lowest is 50/100. Do these stats determine anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)