HSC Physics Marathon 2013-2015 Archive (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
re: HSC Physics Marathon Archive

Question:

3 moons, X, Y and Z are in orbit around the same planet. The moons have identical orbital speeds, but masses of M, 9M and 25M respectively. Determine the ratio of their orbital radii and justify your answer.
The force of gravity between the planet and a moon of mass M is , where the planet's mass is MP. This provides the centripetal force for the moon, which is equal to mv2/r, where v is equal for all three planets. So , from which we see that the m's cancel out and we get that (constant), so orbital radii are in ratio 1:1:1 (same).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Bert dropped a basketball from a window and recorded the time it took to reach the ground. He then climbed the stairs and dropped the basketball from a window 4.0 m higher up and recorded a time 3.0 s longer than the first time.

What was the first height from which Bert dropped the ball?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

The force of gravity between the planet and a moon of mass M is , where the planet's mass is MP. This provides the centripetal force for the moon, which is equal to mv2/r, where v is equal for all three planets. So , from which we see that the m's cancel out and we get that (constant), so orbital radii are in ratio 1:1:1 (same).
Perfecto!

Nice question too :)

jyu

HSC

A 5 kg mass slides at a constant speed of 2.0 m/s down a plane inclined at 30 deg to the horizontal. Determine the reaction force of the plane on the mass.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Please answer the current question before posting others, it is too confusing for me.

Current Question:

Bert dropped a basketball from a window and recorded the time it took to reach the ground. He then climbed the stairs and dropped the basketball from a window 4.0 m higher up and recorded a time 3.0 s longer than the first time.

If not answered in next ~48 hours, I will answer and respond with another question

PhysicsMaths

HSC

Let's restart this marathon:
An object is stationary in space and located at a distance 10 000 km from the centre of a certain planet. It is found that 1.0 MJ of work needs to be done to move the object to a stationary point 20 000 km from the centre of the planet.

Calculate how much more work needs to be done to move the object to a stationary point 80 000 km from the centre of the planet

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Let's restart this marathon:
An object is stationary in space and located at a distance 10 000 km from the centre of a certain planet. It is found that 1.0 MJ of work needs to be done to move the object to a stationary point 20 000 km from the centre of the planet.

Calculate how much more work needs to be done to move the object to a stationary point 80 000 km from the centre of the planet
Gravitational potential energy is inversely proportional to distance from the centre of the planet: , where U(x) is the gravitational potential energy at a distance x from the centre of the planet, and k is a positive constant (equal to GmM, where M is the planet's mass, m is the object's mass).

Work done to move from distance x1 to x2, where x2 > x1, is given by

Since it is given that J of work is done to move from 107 m to m,

Solving for k gives

Now, the required extra work to move to 80000 km, W, is given by

, i.e. W = 7.5 × 105 J.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Next question:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Any hints please?
There's two unknowns in the question: the initial height that the ball was dropped from, and the initial time it took to fall.

So you'll need to form two equations to find these two unknowns, then solve to find the initial height.

One equation is formed by using the fact that , where and are the times of the first and second drops respectively.

So form equations for and in terms of the initial height h, and use that to solve for h.

Kaido

be.
HSC

9.1m & 13.1m?
(from observation, on phone Cbb working out)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

This question is still unanswered:

A 5 kg mass slides at a constant speed of 2.0 m/s down a plane inclined at 30 deg to the horizontal. Determine the reaction force of the plane on the mass.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

It should be assumed that the plane is frictionless.

Edit: Not frictionless, didn't read the problem statement thoroughly before.

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

That's right.:smile:

How did you do it just by observation?
Having a look at the question, where it says it takes 3s to go a further 4m, that impossible assuming g =-9.8ms^-2.

I get no real solutions for g =-9.8! Show me working!

I am able to get the 9.1m, but that involves an algebraic mistake.

Are you sure it is not 0.3s or something?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Having a look at the question, where it says it takes 3s to go a further 4m, that impossible assuming g =-9.8ms^-2.

I get no real solutions for g =-9.8! Show me working!

I am able to get the 9.1m, but that involves an algebraic mistake.

Are you sure it is not 0.3s or something?
You're right, sorry, I didn't realise I needed the condition that to have real solutions when setting the problem, where is the height difference and is the time difference.

I originally did this problem in the general case where the heights and times were just pronumerals, so I forgot to make sure when giving numerical values to them that they needed to satisfy that inequality, which comes about when solving the general case.

Kaido

be.
HSC

Well, by observation I meant sitting down at a restaurant waiting for meal to be served and doing a bit of mental maths ;)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Not sure what you're looking for.
Frictional force, gravitational force, Perp. force, Parallel force ???
I didn't make that question, but I think he was looking for the normal force of the plane on the object.

Kaido

be.
HSC

Logically makes no sense. You can't have a frictionless plane and expect to achieve constant velocity.

Oh and what is the 'normal force'?

(Hella bad at english as u can tell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)