HSC Preliminary and HSC Question!!!! (1 Viewer)

lemon1

HSC
Yo guys, i really need some help. My question is, how much of the preliminary course is actually needed to get a high standard mark for physics in the HSC test. Is it very necessary to know the preliminary stuff, or just motion. Or it is important to know everything including motion, waves, etc..

Please, would really appreciate the help, thanks!

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Main stuff in prelim to carry over to HSC course are:
World Communicates:
Wave Equation
EM Spectrum (order and relative wavelengths)
Inverse Square Law

Electrical Energy
Electric Fields
Ohms Law
Power
Magnetic Fields

Moving About
Speed/Acceleration
Vectors
N2L
Centripetal Acceleraton/Force
Weight/Mass
Kinetic Energy
Work
Law of Conservation of Energy
Momentum

Cosmic Engine:
Equivalence between mass and energy
Black Body Radiation
Alpha/Beta/Gamma Radiation

That's the 'main' stuff -- but understanding everything does help :)

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon you can do really well in the physics HSC (so much rote learning o_O) without a lot of the stuff you learn in prelim - most of the time they're really unrelated, and if they are, going Year 10 knowledge is often sufficient (e.g. Ohm's Law). I'd say that the only thing you have to definitely know is mechanics.

That said, the preliminary course is meant to be assumed knowledge, so if they're feeling kinda douchey they can technically thrown random stuff from there into your exam, but it doesn't happen much.

lemon1

HSC
I reckon you can do really well in the physics HSC (so much rote learning o_O) without a lot of the stuff you learn in prelim - most of the time they're really unrelated, and if they are, going Year 10 knowledge is often sufficient (e.g. Ohm's Law). I'd say that the only thing you have to definitely know is mechanics.

That said, the preliminary course is meant to be assumed knowledge, so if they're feeling kinda douchey they can technically thrown random stuff from there into your exam, but it doesn't happen much.
Interesting, thanks mate

Peeik

HSC
Back during my hsc, i pretty much learnt nothing in the prelim course because i had a really bad teacher. I ended up with a high band 5 in HSC physics so i guess you dont really need to know much prelim to do well in HSC. But if you know your prelim material then i guess it would help :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Main stuff in prelim to carry over to HSC course are:
World Communicates:
Wave Equation
EM Spectrum (order and relative wavelengths)
Inverse Square Law

Electrical Energy
Electric Fields
Ohms Law
Power
Magnetic Fields

Moving About
Speed/Acceleration
Vectors
N2L
Centripetal Acceleraton/Force
Weight/Mass
Kinetic Energy
Work
Law of Conservation of Energy
Momentum

Cosmic Engine:
Equivalence between mass and energy
Black Body Radiation
Alpha/Beta/Gamma Radiation

That's the 'main' stuff -- but understanding everything does help :)
+1. This is pretty much the stuff you should know, and I emphasise the word 'should'. Its not stirctly essential for you to know the prelim course to be able to do the HSC course but in my own opinion, it can help you a hell of a lot with understanding certain concepts. The more you know about the prelim course, the better, but that said, there's no reason why do can't do perfectly well without having done the prelim course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)