HSC really needed for IT? (1 Viewer)

TidyBoi

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering what your opinions are.

Do you think the HSC is really necessary to break into/be successful in IT? Specifically network administration but in general as well.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
if you go to seek.com.au quite a few of the job ads state that a bachelor degree in computer science/IT or similar is either essential or preferable.

You can still do some form of network administration like a cisco course at TAFE i believe

Yes I believe the hsc is essential.

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Not entirely true though. I have one friend who only completed his SC and had a huge amount of varying jobs before falling into IT for state gov and it's a level 6 position or whatever they call them. I also have another mate who did complete his HSC but was head-hunted off a forum based on his own work and not by his grades :) (he is, however, studying at uni now :p)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
if you are talking about the diploma which i assume you are then you have one of two options
HSC
Cert II

I think so anyway, it was with the one i was looking at but i was looking at systems administration not network.

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Well, average income for an IT person WITH a degree is $70/day, so I'm guessing the average earnings for someone WITHOUT a degree would be about $30/day?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Pretty sure both my mates earn around $60,000pa and one did the HSC and a degree and one did neither..
If you've got the skills, freaking go for it. That said, if you don't do your HSC, you're limiting your options elsewhere if IT doesn't work out (or perhaps if you want to climb the ladder further - though again, I'd say in IT it's still more about experience)

dv3

HSC
just finish your HSC, there are alot of people who regretted it later on in their life and wished they could go back.

you'll thank me later on. Trust me :)

kalli

HSC
Wassup? said:
Well, average income for an IT person WITH a degree is $70/day, so I'm guessing the average earnings for someone WITHOUT a degree would be about $30/day?
Woah... no no no.

Permie position approx $270 a day before tax (averages)
Low contracting rate approx $400 a day
High contracting rate approx $800 a day

Once you have your experience then degree/no degree doesnt matter.
The degree is used to get a foot in the door.
It just takes longer to get the good experience with no degree...

DTFM

HSC
You don't really need your HSC, but you will definitely need to do TAFE if you don't do it. Get yourself either a Cert IV or Diploma.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
From reading around, the best way to get into IT is via TAFE b/c of practical training you're getting in TAFE and IT, HSC is a another thing. Doing a Diploma in IT, they'll train you for the specific career choice you have chosen + find you a employer, do work placement there and 99% of the time they'll hire you on the spot.

TidyBoi

HSC
I am intending to do Certificate IV in Information Technology (Networking) and then Diploma of Information Technology (Networking). The cert IV is a pre-requisite of the diploma so it has to be done.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
TidyBoi said:
I am intending to do Certificate IV in Information Technology (Networking) and then Diploma of Information Technology (Networking). The cert IV is a pre-requisite of the diploma so it has to be done.
umm no it is not it is your HSC is, or cert II

I was considering doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)