HSC: Recommended websites/study guides/books (1 Viewer)

BFinlay

HSC
Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Today marks my first day as an HSC student. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books (including study guides), websites and the like that would help either with coursework or just general knowledge for HSC.<o:p></o:p>
Cheers!<o:p></o:p>

MyLoveIsPure

HSC
use the macquaire legal studies book. Its simple, and straight to the point. Its really good for revising :) But keep in mind though, you shouldnt use it as your only text for study, because it doesnt go in-depth into topics.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I found Hienmann (the book my school used) to be quite good. I found Macquarie study guides better than Excel but don' t take everything they say as I remember finding a few errors in those study guides. Kepp your wits about you.

The excel revise HSC Legal studies in a month was good too.

macca's_ baby

HSC
this is one of the better sites,

Legal Information Access Centre home page
http://www.slnsw.gov.au/liac/welcome.htm
Legal information on legal resources from LIAC centres, public libraries and an index to free legal information pamphlets and booklets, the Hot Topic series, and referral guide for free legal advice and assistance.

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
removed my old list, there's a more comprehensive one here which included everything i mentioned anyway

Last edited:

Ice Goddess

HSC
the link doesn't seem to work soap.

I'm starting prelim legal studies in 2010. ANy advice on study guides?

kcrocks

HSC
Definitely heinemen. excel and macquarie are ok for additional information, but neither are that thorough by themselves.

TunaFish

HSC
I pretty much had every major textbook there was for Legal, not that there are too many out there. But from my experience, the only ones worth having for band 6 results are:

1. *The Leading Edge*(so fucking good. Not to be confused with "Leading Edge")
2. Heinemann.
3. Board of Studies past exams student responses series. Get your hands on as many of these as you can from school/public libraries and photocopy all band 6 essays relevant to your chosen focus studies. Highlight chunks of information that you did not know and any neat vocabulary worth adding to your essays for further sophistication. This will set you apart from the rest of your class.

The Leading Edge is without a doubt the best study guide for Legal Studies. Because it is only sold at a few major book stores (I got mine at Dymocks on George St), and not as well known as textbooks such as Heinemann, it will give your essays that extra edge. It is written by top teachers from well-performing schools who know exactly what markers want and thus only provide you with information that you need for top-notch responses. Non of that wishy washy fluff that I found to be prevalent in Excel. This textbook is honestly the best $30 I have spent in preparations for the HSC. It puts extra focus on areas of the syllabus that the other textbooks and study guides fail to cover in adequate detail (esp. law reform, issues and key questions - all areas which are widely and frequently tested in the HSC. All other textbooks are rubbish at these areas when you compare them to TLE). Another major selling point is their *very* up-to-date law reforms and court cases. If you want to give yourself the best chances of getting a band 6 in Legal with minimal cost, this book is a must have.

JRO

HSC
this is one of the better sites,

Legal Information Access Centre home page
http://www.slnsw.gov.au/liac/welcome.htm
Legal information on legal resources from LIAC centres, public libraries and an index to free legal information pamphlets and booklets, the Hot Topic series, and referral guide for free legal advice and assistance.
I most definitely second that. We registered as a class with the library, one of the most useful legal studies aids I've found.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)