HSC Sciences (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Ok, I have barely any problems with calculation and problem solving in Physics and Chemistry, however as I have heard the sciences mark really hard the long responses, docking marks for tiny reasons, and it is that reason why it is difficult to get as high.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) How should I approach doing these questions, I can't do as I can in Economics or English and just write what I know, I have done this for sciences and it has not succeeded as well.

2) Is there something I should change or start in the way I study in order to combat these types of questions?

3) Are there any good resources with a lot of these types of questions that I can practise?

Thanks

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
For long responses, you MUST know HOW to answer questions from each of the verbs, the structure and what MUST be included.

Example 1: Discuss the...
Advantages (Identify and describe at least 2)
Disadvantages (Identify and describe at least 2)

Example 2: Assess the...
Judgement (like a conclusion)

For assess and evaluate questions, missing out on a judgement sometimes limits you to 1/5 but missing the judgement is almost certainly 2 marks lost.

_kuroo

Sped
Strathfield, Sydney, Australia, Australia
HSC
For long responses, you MUST know HOW to answer questions from each of the verbs, the structure and what MUST be included.

Example 1: Discuss the...

For assess and evaluate questions, missing out on a judgement sometimes limits you to 1/5 but missing the judgement is almost certainly 2 marks lost.
Thanks for the advice ^^

sk23

HSC
It helps if you know what outcome the question is trying to test, and then if you have notes for every outcome you just write out your notes...

yasminee96

HSC
here's a link to how the BOS expects you to respond to certain questions : http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/glossary_keywords.html

Describe, discuss, explain etc. if you can always give an example JUST INCASE

Discuss doesn't always mean for and against, but if you can do for and against, always do

things like outline, list, define etc. don't bother going hard out, BRIEFLY describe or your [EDIT: you're*] wasting your time

look at the marks awarded for that specific question. Especially discuss questions. Ex. if it's 7 marks, you're expected to give an example (1), 3 points for (3), 3 points against (3)

it's also very important to always relate cause and effect and have a "hence" statement at the end in explain questions. Ex. if the question is "explain how an electrostatic force is evident in the nucleus of an atom", ud have to write: Protons and electrons exist in the nucleus of an atom. Due to the positive charges of protons and the negative charges of electrons, an attraction force is caused between the two particles. This attraction force is called electrostatic force. Hence, an electrostatic force is evident in the nucleus of an atom.

also, answering the dotpoints in the way it's written (usually each dotpoint has a command verb at the beginning) and getting a teacher to check them or even comparing to other people's notes which are on this website. :)

hope this helps :)

yasminee96

HSC

This aswell. Judgement is vital in any assess question !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)