HSC Standard/Advanced Paper 1 Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

ano19

HSC
LOVE? In The Crucible???? That's the theme you want to take out of such an interesting text with MANY multifaceted characters???? No room for context in that response either. Just bullshit about Abigail's love for John and how it impacts the collective. BullSHIT. Now I'm scared for tomorrow.

lucyfitz

HSC
Yeah - off topic but I was pissed at how they stapled the damn question booklet. Like, WHY??? Bad design. I'd be flipping through and suddenly bam the whole side was stapled together like a magazine lol. I didn't manage to get that many pages out in my essay though which I'm annoyed about. Too busy contemplating how the hell loneliness was related to 1984. My friend got 14....

Heresy

HSC
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if the cutoff for English is around 80-85 or even lower, so I mean there's one positive at least.

vegimitemonster

HSC
Yeah - off topic but I was pissed at how they stapled the damn question booklet. Like, WHY??? Bad design. I'd be flipping through and suddenly bam the whole side was stapled together like a magazine lol. I didn't manage to get that many pages out in my essay though which I'm annoyed about. Too busy contemplating how the hell loneliness was related to 1984. My friend got 14....
14 pages??

ahri

HSC
The booklets were really strange, our markers made us take our staples out before the exam started but I was just really caught off guard by that. Also thought we would have gotten just booklets for questions, not spaces in the question booklet.

lucyfitz

HSC
holy crap how much is she gonna write for tomorrow?
A hell of a lot more than me, that's for sure lol. I've seen the essays she has prepared, and fuck they're good. About 1000 words each but god does she expand in the exam lol.

ahri

HSC
Before paper 1: Confident
After paper 1: Arising level of depression
Lol same, I didn't think Common Mod would be too hard because I didn't think we would be given a specific theme, especially one so IRRELEVANT to the text. Now I'm scared for Mod A and B where the rubric is a lot more vague and unpredictable.

[ ]

ã…¤
HSC
Uni Grad
how was there any lonliness in 1984
I think it is trying to let us refer to the isolation that Winston had in the first part of the whole novel, remember when he thought of the world as "cold"?

sniggledot1

HSC
what happens if i forgot to write my texts name at the top of the first page?

LostCrypt

HSC
Damn, 14 pages? I wrote 6 and a half pages (between 850-900 words, with around 9-10 words a line). That means she writes around 40 wpm assuming that her handwriting is the same size as mine. The estimated range (due to the size of writing) would be from 35 wpm to 45 wpm. God damn.

Edit: Also assuming that she only took 45 minutes to write that

[ ]

ã…¤
HSC
Uni Grad
Thats a bad theme mate. Enjoy B3
I talked about Winston's desire for power and how it is linked to his human experience of loneliness and collectiveness. Sometimes you just need link themes together from the text and find a connection between them so you can twist the question and still answer it in a better way

lucyfitz

HSC
i honestly find that hard to believe...... 14 PAGES!!! ....... either hand writing is massive or she is an english genius of some sought........ how much did rank 1 write then lol
I'm not sure - our rank 1 has cerebral palsy so she uses a computer. Not sure how much she writes tbh

lucyfitz

HSC
Damn, 14 pages? I wrote 6 and a half pages (between 850-900 words, with around 9-10 words a line). That means she writes around 40 wpm assuming that her handwriting is the same size as mine. The estimated range (due to the size of writing) would be from 35 wpm to 45 wpm. God damn.

Edit: Also assuming that she only took 45 minutes to write that
Yep. God damn is right :oops:, she's super fast. Sometimes I wonder how she even has time to think, but honestly she never puts the pen down and always comes out with top marks.

dani01

HSC
thought the short answers were fine! the actual texts were kind of funny but I was able to answer the question well with plenty of techniques and quotes, was surprised there was no image. Section 2 question was also a bit weird and I found myself waffling a bit. I had all the light we cannot see and the question was about "courage"which obviously in a story about WW11 it does touch on it except we never actually went through it so it definitely threw us all off. I think i was able to adapt it well but yeah i found myself rambling a bit. Overall it could have been worse. My quotes weren't exactly connected to courage but I think I was able to show the link.
I guess i'll have to wait and see

sniggledot1

HSC
did everyone write thier text at the top of the page?, what would happen if i didnt ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)