HSC Study Notes? (1 Viewer)

Bec112

HSC
Hey just wondering what you guys were doing with notes, i am currently tyring to narrow mine down as i have 20 pages for project work alone. Would you say the best way is to have short blunt notes, or indepth?
Im trying to follow the syllabus but i dont know if you guys have seen how long and detailed the ipt one is!? a tad annoying when the text books you have dont even follow the syllabus either..

:confused2:

Gigacube

HSC
Which textbook do you use? The Sam Davis textbook follows the syllabus quite well.

Cut your notes down to a point where you can understand everything but don't cut chunks, which you don't understand, out. Colours & diagrams can help & usually pictures help more than words do. Use abbreviations if needed. Have a look at the resources section for examples of previous notes. It may help you with your notes.

Remember to practice past questions too. Turn each dot point into a question & see if you can answer the question based on what you know & your notes to assist you.

Gigacube

HSC
I like the order of it. It's a lot better to have more rather than less like the Excel book. The extra content helps you understand the concepts better.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
eh like 90% of the course is the same, it's just the communication and mutlimedia topics that have updated hardware requirements etc, and a few bits here and there in project management. I used the heinemann book, excel book (for new concepts) and chromatic's notes to make mine, quiet a useful combination if you ask me.

Bec112

HSC
Yeah i am using the Cambridge text book and it too seems to skip quite a bit of syllabus points and fit in a lot of irrelevant info, i think ipt is just one of those topics.. I haven checked out the excel one yet, bit late now..
I also use colours and diagrams for things such as your context diagrams, conversion methods, etc. I think like you said i just need to cut it down to what is necessary. thanks

Prussan

HSC
N/A
My teacher uses a textbook from 2000
To use a textbook which is that old for a subject which deals with the rapidly changing technological world is horrific. Nobody should do that to their students. My textbook (Heinemann) was first published in 2000, republished 2003. To my knowledge it has not been revised.

Call me naive, but I once held the belief that the purpose of the HSC was to prepare us for our potential career paths, I honestly believe that the IPT course does not do that. I believe if a textbook from a decade ago can fulfill the syllabus requirements then the syllabus itself is outdated and irrelevant. I hate to say it, but I genuinely feel that the things I have learnt in IPT, have been taught to me in order to achieve course outcomes, not to prepare me for my future.

As for study, I intend to use the Cambridge HSC study guide. I have no idea how good it is. I guess I will find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)