HSC subject selection help (1 Viewer)

Deep Blue

HSC
Okay, so here is the deal. I am in Year 11 at the moment, and am completing Ext1 and Ext2 Maths for my HSC this year as an accelerated student. Consequently, next year, I will only really have to complete 6 units, assuming that I do pretty well with the maths.
So my predicament is: what subjects should I do, if I want to get the best possible ATAR but also not get bored out of my brain. Currently, for prelim I study:
-Eng Adv
-Eng Ext1
-Chemistry
-Physics
-SOR (I can't drop SOR because it's required at my school.)
-Visual Arts (though I already know I am dropping it at the end of the year)

I am currently thinking of picking up Eng Ext2, because I enjoy it a lot and my english teacher says I have the ability to do well. However if I do that, it would mean that I would have to put in extra work in my HSC only to find that 2 (3 if you include SOR) won't even count towards my ATAR and it will have been a waste of time, or that I would have to drop one of my sciences and I don't think that is the wisest idea either, considering how they scale. The alternative is that I don't do any ext english and just focus with sciences and adv eng for the whole year. What would be the best path to take in this situation, keeping in mind that I will have about 3 free lines to study on.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I would do 6units in year 12 if I did well in 3/4U Maths - less stress and more time spent in each respective subject. Start year 12 with 8units (4U Eng, Physics, Chem), if you can manage keep it or find that you're performing poorly in one subject then drop it. This seems highly unlikely since you're intelligent. =]

N.B. OP: 99.95 ATAR

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I'd do Adv English, Chem and Phys. Best scaling.

That's if you'd be able to do them, cos if you really didn't like them, you'd go crap, but if you reckon you could get through it, 99.95 isn't out of question.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
4u english is really high risk. Chem and Phys, will get you the marks if you put in the effort pretty much guaranteed.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I had plenty of friends complete 4U english, and some got marks that were in no way indicative of the amount of effort they put into the subject. Which was really shit for them.
On the other hand everyone who put in heaps of effort for Phys and Chem, got really awesome marks. Even I got decent marks, and I didn't do that much work.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Do 3u english, 4u english marks vary a lot due to the major. 7 units in one year is nothing =='

TBH most people doing 4u maths in yr 12 will spend a lot of time just on 3/4u maths. So if you're doing an extra unit ie EE1 English, I think that'd be the best option unless you really want to do 4u english :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)