HSC Subjects and University (1 Viewer)

Mr L

HSC
N/A
Greetings Friends

Do the subjects one has chosen for the HSC dictate what university courses one will be able to gain entry into?

For example, would I be able to gain entry to a Bachelor of Petroleum Engineering at UNSW with my choice of subjects? (presuming I attained the necessary ATAR)

I will do bridging courses in the three sciences + mathematics to gain entry to the courses that interest me.

Thank you for your time.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
NO they dont, you can get into anything with any subject as long as your ATAR is up to the required mark.

University's only have "Recommended" subjects now, so subjects do not matter, and yes you can do bridging courses later on, BUT they are not required to gain entry into the course.

Mr L

HSC
N/A
Excellent comment, thank you for responding.

izzy88

HSC
Your subjects do not dictate your choice as such - most universities will still let you in, even if you don't have the recommended knowledge. However there is a reason they have such recommended knowledge- it is to ensure you can adequately get through the course. I would highly recommend doing whatever bridging courses necessary. I guess the only other thing to think about is, if you are looking at doing courses which require high levels of maths (or some kind of science), why you didn't pick such subjects for the HSC? How do you know you will like it at university? You will also generally be in classes with people that have done those subjects.

However that is for you to decide, and I would recommend talking to the engineering faculty at UNSW about the different options for bridging courses.

Having a quick look at the petroleum engineering course at unsw they say:

"Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1

Recommended studies: Chemistry and Physics

If you do not have the level of assumed knowledge, you are not prevented from enrolling but you may be placed at a considerable disadvantage. If you have not achieved the recommended level of assumed knowledge you are strongly advised to undertake a bridging course or other appropriate preparation. Please refer to this link for additional information." http://www.petrol.unsw.edu.au/infor.../admission-costs-how-apply/entry-requirements

Here's a site for UNSW bridging courses...
http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/nonAward/sad/bridgeprog.html

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, you can get into the course - though as the above posters have said, there are recommended subjects. For example, there we can see that MX1 is part of assumed knowledge.

If you don't do MX1 - which you do not - then you're at a disadvantage. Why? Simply because they assume you are familiar with the concepts of MX1 - and I assume this can be things like harder applications of calculus.

You don't do any maths and engineering is very maths intensive - half or more of the people in my Higher Maths 1A class are engineering students. You better get yourself to a bridging course - because you will be out of your depth from day 1 if you are unfamiliar with the mathematics.

Mr L

HSC
N/A
Engineering is not my first preference, but it will be in my top five. I was just curious as to my eligibility to enter an engineering course.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
You'll be fine without them but they will help slightly, moreso for Maths.
I didn't do phys and it was alright, and apparently HSC physics doesn't really help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)