• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSc subjects - Medical Science (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey, i was just wondering if i was planning to do Medical Sciences in hopes of following it up with Grad med what hsc subjects would be neccessary? I know Usyd website says you need HSC Maths, Chemistry and either Biology or Physics but from the point of view from someone who does MedSci what do you think is neccesary? Maths is the subject i least want to do for the HSC its not that im hopeless, i did do advanced its just that its not my thing but with science i find that alot more interesting and stuff, for maths i got 76 in the SC and for science 87. Also will humanity type subjects help in the course like do you get essays and stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers:)

tennille

HSC
If you don't do maths, you will have a lot of trouble with first year, since it is compulsory to do maths (mathematics, at the minimum).

silly_sailor

baddest mofo around
HSC
what u will be doing in your first yr of med sci are chem, bio, math and physics subjects,

so if u can, try to do all of chem, bio, phys and math in yr 11 and 12

i highly recommend u do chem and math (esp ext 1/2, because the math u start in 1st yr is about math ext 2 level if not higher) so yeah it will be definitely advantageous for u if u did math ext 2. they go the assumed knowledge for the math subjects is math ext 1, so its best to at least do ext 1 in high school.

um i'd also recommend u to do bio, i guess its not absolutely essential, cos in 1st yr in 1st sem u do a subject which is pretty much hsc bio, so its ok if u dont do it in school. but having said that, i did bio in school and i found that the uni bio subjects were very easy, while some others that didnt do it at school found it quite hard (cos theres so much to remember, its pretty much just a theory subject). um with physics, i cant give u too much advice on that, but i suggest u do it too. i hear that physics is quite challenging

so in short i'd say you should try to do math ext2 (ext 1 if u dont wnat to do 2, at least do 2unit), chem, bio, phys. although bio is not absolutely essential as i said before

hope this is helpful

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
given that you aim to do grad med and ure in yr 10..

id tell you to consider that GAMSAT.. the grad admission test is challenging..

the BMedSc program is really a pathway to Medical Science research without the Art of medicine..

I think its a good program to be a researcher
but if say you fail to get grad med .. u need a "wat then?" plan...
do you realli want to be a researcher?.. see Survivor39's posts about BMedSc Pathways

cos otherwise u might end up doing a professional masters to become a physio or a speech path or an OT.. and that can cost upwards of $40K for 2 yrs. (i.e. its not CSP or HECs type available.. its under FEE-HELP)..

recommended studies are a science/s you enjoy (tho not senior science.. this fails the minimum for some universities), Maths that you can do well at (2U advanced (?) minimum... 3U is helpful.. 4U is killer.. but if ure goin to do poorly at them.. dun do them..).

and remember atm english counts.. so u better do well at it!..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)