HSC @ Tafe '09 :) (1 Viewer)

Vespers

HSC
Hello. Will anyone else here be completing their HSC through Tafe this year?

I flunked out of Year 12 in '08 due to illness, so this year will be my desperate bid to get into my course of choice. I thought we could form a support group.

slonik

HSC
ill be going to ultimo for the HSC this year

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
It really depends on how the subject timetables turn out. I withdrew last year because of this, and most likely there will be 4 clashes with my subjects or something similar again.

Vespers

HSC
Did your timetable turn out okay? I had to drop a couple of subjects I'd wanted out of sheer inconvenience, but I can deal, I guess. Meh. Tafe starts in two days!

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Nope, was even worse this year. This year they didn't even offer 2 of my subjects that they did last year which happen to be the 2 I want to redo the most (apparently because they need to cut back on costs) + the one that they didn't originally offer, and another 2 clashed. The only other subjects I would consider doing also clash with these or each other. So I didn't bother to turn up to the 2nd day where you enroll.

Sucks, because I do really want to redo it even though at the same time I don't (and shouldn't have to).

Last edited:

Vespers

HSC
Damn, that does suck. I assume you were considering redoing those subjects as a means of getting into uni? What are your plans now, if you don't mind me asking?

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Yeah, and there's no point doing it if any of my old marks are going to count. To be honest I don't know what my plan is. I should be 3/4 way through my degrees, yet I'm still 0 closer to getting into them, or anything. That's all I know.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Yeah I've looked into them. Subjects on offer are pretty limited though and I don't know if they offer them intensively. If not, then I can't do other subjects that I haven't done before...without it taking 2 years.......

Vespers

HSC
Self-tuition will allow you to sit this year's HSC in every subject but the three sciences (as far as I'm aware) so long as you've completed the School Certificate, and obtain a UAI from your results. No internal assessments, but you're completely on your own.

And I thought OTEN offered everything? I'm pretty sure, too, that they'll allow you to forgo the preliminary work if you show them that you've already completed it.

Either way, you can get a UAI this year and attend uni in '010. I'm not sure that you have any other options. But surely you could have taken subjects that worked out with the Tafe timetable (last year, even) and worked hard in them, purely in the interest of getting into your degrees and having the HSC over and done with?

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
forget the HSC. redo the HSC just to get a decent UAI to get into uni?

remember your goal is to get into uni, not to get a good UAI. who cares about UAI...

do the tcp or do tafe diploma for 1 year.

u can transfer to uni after 1 years diploma if u get A and B's which isnt hard at tafe.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
forget the HSC. redo the HSC just to get a decent UAI to get into uni?

remember your goal is to get into uni, not to get a good UAI. who cares about UAI...

do the tcp or do tafe diploma for 1 year.

u can transfer to uni after 1 years diploma if u get A and B's which isnt hard at tafe.

First of all, you shouldn't assume what goals people have or don't have. Maybe I do really want to "achieve" a certain UAI (however lame that sounds), or maybe I don't. I assure you though, I do not truly want to redo the HSC. There were problems with subjects/timetables, I didn't like the way they seem to teach/talk down to you, but the #1 reason I have not gone ahead with it is because I do not want to do it. I shouldn't have to do it in the first place.

Secondly, my goal isn't to simply get into uni. If it was that simple, I would be at a uni on the border of NSW/Victoria or in Wollongong right now studying something I don't want to do, or one that doesn't even offer what I want to do because its so small, but no thanks.

When it comes to TPC/TAFE diploma, unfortunately it is not as simple as you put it with a lot of unis. Believe me, I have inquired a lot to the extent that the admissions people would know me pretty well by now. I don't feel like going into detail and this post is already pretty long so all I'll say is, the way they explain it to me, even if I do really well in the TPC or get a very high average in a TAFE diploma - in other words surpass all their requirements - I would be extremely lucky to get into what I want to do.

At least the HSC/UAI presents a clear cutoff that if you get, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot.

I believe its too late for tpc/diploma now anyway :/

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
wow real clear as to what your goals are.

u want to do hsc for the uai alone? hahahha what so u can pin it to your chest i got a uai of xxx... just remember to but in very small font it took u twice to get it.

go ahead redo the hsc and waste your time hahahhahaha

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
First of all, you shouldn't assume what goals people have or don't have. Maybe I do really want to "achieve" a certain UAI (however lame that sounds), or maybe I don't. I assure you though, I do not truly want to redo the HSC. There were problems with subjects/timetables, I didn't like the way they seem to teach/talk down to you, but the #1 reason I have not gone ahead with it is because I do not want to do it. I shouldn't have to do it in the first place.

Secondly, my goal isn't to simply get into uni. If it was that simple, I would be at a uni on the border of NSW/Victoria or in Wollongong right now studying something I don't want to do, or one that doesn't even offer what I want to do because its so small, but no thanks.

When it comes to TPC/TAFE diploma, unfortunately it is not as simple as you put it with a lot of unis. Believe me, I have inquired a lot to the extent that the admissions people would know me pretty well by now. I don't feel like going into detail and this post is already pretty long so all I'll say is, the way they explain it to me, even if I do really well in the TPC or get a very high average in a TAFE diploma - in other words surpass all their requirements - I would be extremely lucky to get into what I want to do.

At least the HSC/UAI presents a clear cutoff that if you get, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot.

I believe its too late for tpc/diploma now anyway :/

read this? no its all over the place.

no wonder u had to redo the hsc

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
If its so cryptic then use you're intelligence to figure out that it says I didn't redo the hsc and am not going to.

h3da

HSC
Basically if you know what you are planning to do at uni, the best step is drop out after year 10 and go straight to tafe and do an advanced diploma for whatever you want to do such as accounting, engineering. In the end when they finish their HSC you will be also applying for university but the only difference is they start from first year and you most likely get advanced standing and be on your 2nd year depending on the uni and plus save yourself 6 grand of help or more. Okay you might not have hsc but who gives a damn.. what is HSC to advanced diploma certificate. To be honest i'd rather takethe advanced diploma. Doing the HSC gives you a varity of choices because most people doesn't know what they want to do. And sometimes tafe just doesn't have the course so they have to apply via UAI. Thats what my career's advisor said to do at year 11, in which i ignored but regret it now. :(. Good luck anywayz

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Considered the TPC Tim0?
Completing the TPC may gain you entry to most courses, except medicine, law, psychology (UNSW) and Advanced Science.
The course can be completed in 1 year however it isn't as intensive as the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)