HSC textbooks help! which to choose (1 Viewer)

xazxncutiex

HSC
hey guys, its the start of year 12 for me this term and like the teacher are pushing us to do well in our hsc and saying how everything counts towards it. i recently become committed to this whole study mode and trying to get a really high uai mark! however i feel so restricted. i feel like i dont have enough information that i needed to write essay etc.
the subjects i am currently doing are:

-Ancient history
-Maths 2 unit Advanced
-English Advanced
-Art
-Textiles
-Hospitality
-Tafe (tourism)

all together it is 14 units. Im thinking of dropping hospitality and tafe and really want to concentrate on my two majors which are worth 50% towards the hsc

Anyway the dilemma is i want to buy those study guide textbooks for the hsc so i can feel prepared and stuff.
The help im needing at the moment are maths since i dont go to tutor anymore and need help in that!
I was wondering if i need to buy studyguide textbooks for the other subjects too? or do you think that what the school is providing is enough?
Also what is the best textbook for maths? i heard that excel are good but only for basic stuff. How bout cambridge? or The Leading Edge?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
For Maths, there are a range of textbooks that may assist you:

- Cambridge
- New Senior Matahematics: Fitzpatrick
- Excel
- Coroneous
- Understanding Year 12 Maths (as to grasp the concepts)
- Maths in Focus

You might want to have a pop in your local bookstore and check out the available range, and decide which book has the best structure, layout, examples, etc for you.

HSC
For maths I bought a Signpost study guide last year, it covers all year 11 and 12 work in order of the syllabus, and has things like mindmaps and study cards for each chapter. Really useful and easy to understand if you can find it.

iEdd

HSC
Excel - Revise in a Month - HSC Mathematics. I cannot recommend it enough. Do 1 hour per day for a month before your trial and you can expect a reasonable result. Then for your HSC just do past papers.

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
Math: Cambridge, Accelerated Math Learning
Art: excel, Oxford (A.R.T.2 - Practice),

don't forget to check out your local library for study guides for English advanced. Most library's also have some selection of textbooks and studyguides which are available for reference although some are also available to borrow :)

morganforrest

HSC
Most of the study guides for english are fairly bogus as they really don't go into enough detail and don't tend to tell you anything that would ever be examined. (I can only speak for Excel here though) Talk to your teacher for more info on what they feel the best textbook would be to complement your learning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)