HSC Trials - some pointers, and a big GOOD LUCK! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hello EE1ers of 2006,

I hear Trials are nowish/soon to be nowish. So a big GOOD LUCK from me! :)

And now for the pointers.

This is something my Principal told me prior to our HSC's but it's worth repeating now. If you think you screwed up in an exam, don't waste time kicking yourself about it (and really, that's all the HSC Trials are for - they're intended as a nice sharp ego-buster so you cruise in the real thing :p). Instead, focus all your energy on the next challenge ahead (ie your next exam).

Additionally, EE1 requires a far greater understanding of your module than Eng Adv does. Many of you may find that your modules are really only beginning to "click" in your head around now - that's perfectly normal! :) For those who haven't had this "click" or would still like to get a stronger grasp on it, my advice is to DISCUSS YOUR MODULES in your appropriate EE1 subforum. Bounce your ideas around. Ask those questions you've always wanted to ask but been secretly afraid of (such as "What the hell was she thinking when she said _____? I don't get it?!?!?!!!"). I swear, half the key to maximising your EE1 results is discussing ideas with your peers. You have a much better chance of writing a good response if you know something upside down and inside out, as opposed to just "yeah I think I know it pretty well".

There is nothing worse than sitting in an exam having written down all you can think of, but still wanting more. OR - having a great point to come across but not enough examples to support it. OR - having your exam paper handed back with lots of "you should have gone into more detail about this" written all over it in red ink.

For those who haven't already started, I strongly suggest you get into the habit of HAND-WRITING your practice essays. One of the things about both the Trials and the actual HSC is that they are looking for good responses that are completed within a specific time limit. Everyone can write a brilliant essay overnight, but can you do it in 40 minutes? (or however long the exam is) This is what you'll be tested on, so start practicing your speed writing now! :)

GOOD LUCK EE1ers! :D

glitterfairy

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
*shrug*

Here are my rather paltry words of wisdom for the class of 06.

Learn to breathe

The trials are probably going to be the most difficult period you'll go through this year and so you may be inclined to stress. Don't. Terrorising yourself won't make this any easier, instead it will become harder than it need be, so give yourself some air some times - go for a walk, have a short swim do whatever it takes to make sure you don't burn out.

Study smart instead of hard

Long hours of study won't save you - especially if its just 15 hours bashing your head over one problem. However an efficient dose of study will - instead of clocking yourself on hours, set goals and make them realistic ones that you can do. Then once you reach those goals, set yourself some new ones. And if you find that some of these things take much longer than they should or you can't do them at all then phone a classmate, post on the forum or ask your teacher but make sure you don't sit and stew over it, you'll just end up frustrated with yourself.

Your texts are your children - they need love

Make sure you know your texts, don't just sit there practicing and perfecting a single essay for your module with a few haphazard quotes. Know your texts till every relevant iota of information is at your fingertips so that when a tricky question comes up you will be the one prepared.

Gosh grandma what big ...

The essay length in Advanced English is probably not a stumbling block for you, after all it is only like 1000 words or so, and the stories are probably even smaller. However, in EE1, you will need to write big momma sized essays and stories and you will need to do it fast - something not all of you will be ready to do yet. So now is a good time to get started on changing that - practice on the past questions that you're teacher has given you and search for a few on this site. And keep on doing it and don't stop once you've done it - keep going until you can do it everytime.

Don't cry

Ever walked into an exam room, looked at this complicated question that needs sooo much and in sooo little time? Ever felt like you can't do it?

Well you can, and you will. So long as you keep your chin up and don't give in to the stress and negativity. DON'T sit there in the exam room being upset or just writing your name over and over. Instead, pick up your pen and underline the question if that helps - decipher it. Write whatever comes to mind, no matter how embarassing it might be to know someone is marking it because no matter what, holding your head up and giving it that go will give you a higher mark and more respect than writing nothing. Remember - YOU CAN DO IT!

Goodluck class of 06. The power is yours;)

Porcia

HSC
in addition to what kami said; never ramble. of course - if nothing comes to your head, keep writing but discard the paper once the real thing/thesis forms. quite a few times my essays have been marked down for my tendency to ramble or let out a stream of conciousness even if they have relevant points. the stream does degrade by context. cross it out or somethihg if its on the same page.

montycreations

HSC
awww thanks guys!!!
the pointers are actually helpful!
(speaking of stress, they've set up a punching bag in our common room! lol... that's a good way to de stress!)

HSC
N/A
eh, you might not be ;) what texts are you studying? Provided your exams weren't today, there's still an opportunity to ask questions on the forums (and get answers).

Tip: Don't start a thread saying "I know nothing help me!" Pick a starting point - eg "I don't understand what ____ means when he says ____, can anyone explain it to me?"

hula girl

HSC
glitterfairy said:
OR - having your exam paper handed back with lots of "you should have gone into more detail about this" written all over it in red ink
wow.. that looks familiar!!

nah that was my bad. i didn't put a whole lot of work into my trials
but after seeing my mark (farrrrrk *shakes head* ) i'm definitely gonna start some decent work

thanks for the reinforcement though dudes :)

anna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)