Hsc unstructured responses - groups in context, parenting and caring & options. (1 Viewer)

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
How exactly have you been told to structure them. God i wish i was a year younger and dne cafs next year, the new exam structure would work so much better for me than now. Sorry, my year is the first year to do the cafs exam and my teachers is fucking clueless. -_-, if you could please give me a few ideas that would be great. However i have been told by a senior marker that;

you should double the mark weighting to give u a rough estimate of the length. E.g. 4 marks = 8 lines, 6 - 12 lines & 15 marks = 30 lines.

HSC
this is what my teacher told us, shes a hsc marker :)

4 marker: half a page
6 marker - page + a half
15 marker - 3/4 pages

i always go over though.

PenguinOfDeath

HSC
How exactly have you been told to structure them. God i wish i was a year younger and dne cafs next year, the new exam structure would work so much better for me than now. Sorry, my year is the first year to do the cafs exam and my teachers is fucking clueless. -_-, if you could please give me a few ideas that would be great. However i have been told by a senior marker that;

you should double the mark weighting to give u a rough estimate of the length. E.g. 4 marks = 8 lines, 6 - 12 lines & 15 marks = 30 lines.
haha my teacher has taught the subject for over 10 years and is still clueless... i think the amount of lines you need really depends on the content of the question, and it can easily be a lot more or a lot less than advised... basically, if its a four mark question, you need to make 4 strong and valid points on whatever the question is, and the amount of lines should mean nothing if you know your stuff, you should be able to spit it out in under a minute!!

has anyone else found CAFS a complete waste of time and hugely regrets choosing the subject?

clairebear41

HSC
haha my teacher has taught the subject for over 10 years and is still clueless... i think the amount of lines you need really depends on the content of the question, and it can easily be a lot more or a lot less than advised... basically, if its a four mark question, you need to make 4 strong and valid points on whatever the question is, and the amount of lines should mean nothing if you know your stuff, you should be able to spit it out in under a minute!!

has anyone else found CAFS a complete waste of time and hugely regrets choosing the subject?
In response to you question, I only did CAFS because it was the only thing on the line. However, I love it now and I dont regret it at all.

My Teacher was a HSC marker too. She pretty much said that you can do CAFS anyway you want really. Some people chose to do tables for extended reponses. As long as the info is there it does not really matter.

I base my response on the amount of marks is the amount of points. If its worth 15 i try and write 15 points or 7/ 8 in more depth. There is no right or wrong in CAFS. Thats why I like it. Hope that helped.

Kat92

HSC
Yes, you can base it around the number of lines as our teacher stated this and has done past HSC marking as well.

Or you look at the marks allocated and try to list that many points.

A general rule of thumb, also look at the verbs as it is an indication of how much depth that you need to go into.

Hope that clarified some things for you.

Last edited:
HSC

no i absolutely love cafs. its easy and very interesting. and the majority of my uni course is based on cafs content so i have no regrets about choosing it what so ever.

PenguinOfDeath

HSC
no i absolutely love cafs. its easy and very interesting. and the majority of my uni course is based on cafs content so i have no regrets about choosing it what so ever.
i guess you're right... maybe cos my teacher just doesnt get it... all we do is watch clickview and do exam questions before we've even finished the content so our whole class hates the subject

HSC
i guess you're right... maybe cos my teacher just doesnt get it... all we do is watch clickview and do exam questions before we've even finished the content so our whole class hates the subject
ahhhh that sucks.
you should have just self taught yourself. cafs is pretty easy to self teach.
i had a really good teacher though. she was always happy to check extra essays and stuff for us and she taught us from the syllabus so it worked out well :)

PenguinOfDeath

HSC
ahhhh that sucks.
you should have just self taught yourself. cafs is pretty easy to self teach.
i had a really good teacher though. she was always happy to check extra essays and stuff for us and she taught us from the syllabus so it worked out well :)
thats pretty much what most of our class has done... theres 5 of us that will do well, and score 85+, but the rest arent looking to good, someone got 30% on their trial exam

HSC
thats pretty much what most of our class has done... theres 5 of us that will do well, and score 85+, but the rest arent looking to good, someone got 30% on their trial exam
ohhhh crapp! 30% in cafs? how is that even possible!!

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
hmmmm, lol I think you would be suprised if I told you our years highest exam mark for the 1/2 yearlies was 69% :-O, and the Trials was 75%. I have studied the syllabus inside and out but still am not getting the marks. There's kids I kno and do jack shit and get 80+ easily. It doesn't add up, too much unnecessary stress. CRAP TEACHERS SUCK!!!

HSC
hahahah i hardly do anything for cafs and i didnt get less than 95% in any of the assignments too. and i was pretty high in the exams too.
but i have made notes throughout the year and i do put alot of effort into my assignments.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
lol damn. Well I hope my hard work all year rewards me :), I have worked my ass off throughout the year, I'm sure I shall do ok. If I don't get over 90 I will probably go suicidal. LOL

HSC
my teachers told me she thinks i will get a band 6 so if i dont im going to be suicidal too haha.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
:p expectations expectations they suck wang, which in turn affects my overall wellbeing and my pursuit of achieving self actualization. DAMNIT!!!

HSC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
i know. i mean im happy she thinks thats what ill get but if i dont get ill feel so devo :(

bron

Bron
HSC
N/A
Hi
A good way to structure it is as follows:-
1) Intro - define syllabus terms
2) Relate question to WB

Then set out a statement that tells the marker what you are going to discuss. e.g.
3 government policies that address the specific needs of youth include :
new P-plate laws
education act changing age of school leavers to 17 years
young offenders act

Then spend a paragraph on each

Use lots of relevant examples. Relate to needs that are addressed and use that to assess how WB is affected. e.g. as a result of the new P-plate laws, the young drivers are given more experience from driving in a supervised setting so will be more able to meet their needs for security and safety/ self-esteem etc. As a result, their WB is enhanced.

4) Conclusion Summarise the argument with final comment on WB.

NOTE : Be aware of meaning of BOS words e.g. evaluate, assess, propose etc.
Make sure you can define all syllabus terms and you are familiar with the learn abouts and learn to section.

All the best for Monday.

Bron

(a teacher)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)