HSC (1 Viewer)

livsta

HSC
Hey, so just out of curiosity is the HSC really that hard like people say it is. Iv heard so many people say it's hard and stressful, so is it?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, so just out of curiosity is the HSC really that hard like people say it is. Iv heard so many people say it's hard and stressful, so is it?
Well it will be challenging compared to younger years because you will have more assignments, but if you are consistent in your work and don’t leave things to the last minute it shouldn’t be insanely hard

blyatman

HSC
N/A
No. The reason people find it stressful is likely due to time management issues, an overall lack of disciple, or the competitive nature of the ranking system.

The subjects themselves are not all that hard (Ext 2 math included). You have a set of syllabus points to tell you what you need to know and what will be tested, past papers for you to practice on, and a textbook which spoon feeds you and spells out everything you need to know. That's really as good as you can ask for in life.

I teach a few classes of HSC math, and the struggling students are those that waste their time. They don't attempt the questions in class, but go on their phone and then simply copy down the teachers answers afterward, thinking that they can learn this way. They chat and procrastinate throughout the lesson, looking for anything else to do except the work immediately in front of them. They go home and forget about what they learnt (or didn't learn), and instead of revising, spend their time on social media. They do a fraction of their weekly homework, and upon reaching a question that deviates slightly from what they're used to, they give up immediately instead of asking for help, hoping that it won't be examined. Then, they complain during the test that it's too hard and they don't get it. For these people, yes, the HSC will be hard and stressful, but only because they themselves have made it unnecessarily hard and stressful.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
No. The reason people find it stressful is likely due to time management issues, an overall lack of disciple, or the competitive nature of the ranking system.

The subjects themselves are not all that hard (Ext 2 math included). You have a set of syllabus points to tell you what you need to know and what will be tested, past papers for you to practice on, and a textbook which spoon feeds you and spells out everything you need to know. That's really as good as you can ask for in life.

I teach a few classes of HSC math, and the struggling students are those that waste their time. They don't attempt the questions in class, but go on their phone and then simply copy down the teachers answers afterward, thinking that they can learn this way. They chat and procrastinate throughout the lesson, looking for anything else to do except the work immediately in front of them. They go home and forget about what they learnt (or didn't learn), and instead of revising, spend their time on social media. They do a fraction of their weekly homework, and upon reaching a question that deviates slightly from what they're used to, they give up immediately instead of asking for help, hoping that it won't be examined. Then, they complain during the test that it's too hard and they don't get it. For these people, yes, the HSC will be hard and stressful, but only because they themselves have made it unnecessarily hard and stressful.
Yeah I totally agree with what you said for the students that struggle are usually the ones who don’t do work. In my tutoring I have also seen that. The students who do all the homework and are attentive in class even if they are not insanely intelligent can still get fairly good marks, while the ones who don’t do work consistently throughout the year such as their homework fall behind and it’s so hard to go ahead in content because previous topics might build on the knowledge needed for the next topic so a lot of time is wasted just reminding them what we did before.

So yeah to the person who wrote the post the most important thing you can do is establish a good work ethic. Everyone wants good marks but they don’t come from luck. They require hard work, you have to earn the mark which means outside of class you have to do work as well

livsta

HSC
okay thanks, was just wondering. Would any of you recommend having a tutor for year 11 and 12, or is it possible to do without

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
okay thanks, was just wondering. Would any of you recommend having a tutor for year 11 and 12, or is it possible to do without
it really depends on your goals and ability. I tended to get tutoring during year 12 only because I could manage year 11 fairly easily as I have always been good academically, but for an average student who aspires to have like a band 6 or high mark then it would be helpful I guess. In terms of the goals, what I mean is, if you are aiming to do something like 95+ ATAR and don't have the natural ability to do that by yourself then a tutor could be useful, but that is really something you will have to figure out yourself when you start doing the subjects and you can see if you are good at them or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)