huh? Ancient History Scales down? (1 Viewer)

sh3zz

HSC
ok, i was using SAM the other day, and i saw the scaling column for ancient history is actually a negative sign, does that mean this subject scales down? and please provide reasons. I think that Ancient History is just as important and prestigious as any other subject.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The BOS don't seem to think so, in all most humanities/arts subjects dont 'scale' as well as other areas of the study, im not quite sure why, ill ask someone in the know

Tahlia12

scaling

my ancient history teacher told us that it will boost our UAI's. Is that wrong?

X

xeuyrawp

Whatever you do, DON'T look at one of those tables which shows your raw marks compared with your aligned ones. It will make you depressed.

That being said, ancient requires a lot less constant study than Chemistry, imo, and the scaling reflects that. There's also the matter of your peerage and how well your class will perform, and where you are in that class, marks-wise.

With ancient, it's really difficult to say what kind of affect your marks will have on your UAI- I was in the top 2 or 3 people in my year, my year did very well, and I did very well in the exams. Hence, my marks weren't slaughtered.

It's important to remember that scalling is a moot-investigation, meaning that 1. you can't do anything about it, 2. it will make you unhappy if you compare your scalling with other subjects, 3. you don't know exactly how well you will go in external exams, and 4. you won't know how well your other peer group does in exams.

Try not to worry about it too much, and remember that if your the (for example) 5/40 people in your grade, and your grade does well, you won't be too disadvantaged.

X

xeuyrawp

miss_gtr said:
My teacher said Ancient scales very well, and if you do well, it can really boost you up.
That's impossible to say, I'm affraid. It's like saying "my piece of string is long"- you need to take into account that it's harder to get a higher UAI contributer due to a lower percentage being awarded it (read: bad scalling generally), your school group, the rest of the AH students not in your school, and the comparison of your marks with the above 3 factors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)