Human Rights Struggle (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys..
just wondering what you think is a good modern HR struggle both internationally and domestic?? I was thinking Children Overboard or Children in Det. Centres.. What do you all think is one that can be talked about easily.(just incase its in our exam!)
thanks

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
look at the Amnesty international site for matters involving the violation of HR in countries

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think you could argue terrorism is a HR issue, after all, killing people is abusing HR's isnt it.

there's the obvious Children in Detention

some other one's are wats happening in Sudan at the moment, Guantanamo Bay, u could even go more abstract and talk about the High Court ruling on strikes, as the right to strike is also a HR

if i think of anymore, i'll post 'em

cameron0110

HSC
Aboriginal right to self-determination- you can claim its a contemporary ongoing struggle plus there is a lot of cases and legislation you can talk about to make your argument sound better like mabo, wik and native title act- plus there is a fair amount on it all over the place and the right to self-determination i think is under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (not sure on the date but i think its 1976- don't believe me on that).

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
is sudan abt the brutal killings for the government troops (or something like that?)
my teacher added that in a HR test we did recently

Teoh

Sudan is about rebel militia 'junjaweed' who are backed by the govt. and are killing/displacing sudanese.

hubbamad

HSC
i hate school. i think i'm gonna drop out. i think school is a human rights abuse - no freedom of movement, speech...religion! i'm goin crazy

Melz

--
HSC
Well, actually, going to school and gaining an education is a human right =P

There are many children in the world who aren't as lucky as you and have no access to education.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Melz said:
Well, actually, going to school and gaining an education is a human right =P

There are many children in the world who aren't as lucky as you and have no access to education.
yeah thats true
but its only a HR till yr 10
no 1 forces u 2 stay on til yr11 and yr12

Melz

--
HSC
access to education is a human right for all levels of education.

but yes, it is only compulsary to a certain age [15 in australia, i think]

roadcone

HSC
women is actually a good topic to pick to show how (or how not) HR are being upheld both in aust and o/seas.. i only say this because there is like international conventions + dom legislation that doesn't work/isn't enforced.. i normally do women and refugees.. and then if i need another if it is the Q that was in the hsc a couple of years ago where u needed to know 3, i do ATSIs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)