Humanities student wanting to do Psychology (Arts) - How much maths is involved? (1 Viewer)

Oget

HSC
I'm seriously considering Psychology for my degree next year (doing HSC now) and I'm wondering, if I'm totally inept at Maths, can I still succeed? Also what University is best? My life long ambition is to go to USYD but I hear they are woeful for Psych.

Give me discussion fellow board members!

HSC
I can say that in your first couple of years you probably wouldn't need to do any maths. You would be taking Psychology subjects & Arts electives I gather. Any maths in future years would probably relate more to Statistics in Psych and they are quite easy once you get the hang of it, so don't worry! :)

biggie walls

HSC
get over ur USYD fetish already... go wherev the best course u can get into is...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
USYD, UNSW and Mac are all relatively good with psychology, so give UNSW and mac some thought

nathanbalam

Theif
HSC
wtf kent............ You want to do the same thing as me!!!!! i might defer a year to avoid your impotent dismal remarks. :D

nathanbalam

Theif
HSC
Err...This Oget guy. I know him. He's extraordinarily ugly. Don't answer his questions. Even if he went to USYD and did Psychology and did his degree, no one would pay him as a shrink because he's too ugly. So don't even bother answering his questions, because he'll just waste a space in USYD, psychology, a space that could be taken by hotter women, who people would rather pay to spend hours talking to. He also believes that Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is the greatest movie of all time. So...yeh... Yep that's the Kevin Koster one. He's got a silly haircut and has severe acne. His intelligence is meak and superficial, and his arrogance is unneccessary, as he is shit. His girlfriend looks similiar to a common meerkat, and she doesn't put out for him. He's also french. what a fuckwad!

kitkatkittyau

HSC
maybe they could move then.....

I dont know the situation, i was just making a suggestion.

Sorry for thinking outside sydney....

wordsmith

HSC
Hey, I'm a second year Psyc student at UNSW. Fireflower is right, and you have to do Statistics each year, but that's the extent of the maths. It can be hard yakka though.

Last edited:

twisty182

HSC
N/A
The stats is easy, it starts off very simple and slowly builds its way up. In my course there's only 2 or 3 units involving stats, and the other units have non-stats content like abnormal behaviour and addiction and stuff. So don't fret. Just remember that undergraduate psychology trains you to do RESEARCH. It does not qualify you to be a psychologist like a psychotherapist. To do that you have to do another 4 or so years of a PhD or Masters or whatever. So just know that undergraduate psychology leads to an academic career or you can work in human resources or marketing or something; just don't get the idea that you can do 4 years of psych and become a rich therapist because in reality it's more like 8 years of study.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
The stats required in Psych is relatively easy. All they teach you is enough to understand the basics, and that is only in your last year. The stats they teach you aren't enough for research, but they are enough for an undergrad degree given the fact that most people don't go into academia or professional practice anyway.

I'm fairly certain you don't know a PhD to practice. A PhD is a Dr of Philosophy of (insert your field of study). A PhD is about sutdying a specific area of your field to the extent that you become an expert on it. A PhD is about research and academia.

I don't know what the requirement is to practice but I don't think you need Masters either.

And the reputation of the uni isn't essential at an undergrad level because reputation is based on postgrad research. Go for the uni with the best teaching quality for undergrads. If you want to do research just get good marks at which ever uni you're at and do honours and if you have the skills you'll get PhD's at the premier places for research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)