Hurlstone Agricultural Queries? (1 Viewer)

Papercutter

HSC
Hello guys,
I received an invitation to an interview for entry into Hurlstone (Year10), how much would this interview affect my chances of making it in? Are there any questions I should be prepared for? And also, if the study of agriculture is compulsory for all students, does that mean I have to choose it for the HSC (apparently you need at least 2 years of agriculture)?

Thanks to all who read this!

Kazooker

HSC
N/A
Hello guys,
I received an invitation to an interview for entry into Hurlstone (Year10), how much would this interview affect my chances of making it in? Are there any questions I should be prepared for? And also, if the study of agriculture is compulsory for all students, does that mean I have to choose it for the HSC (apparently you need at least 2 years of agriculture)?

Bro, usually if you get an interview, u already hv a high chance of getting in, such as when I tried out for sbhs, me and 5 other people got in out of a total of seven who got interviews at my school. Also, it is ur choice if u want to study agriculture as a HSC course. They cannot simply force u to do agriculture. You're allowed to choose whatever hsc electives u want in yr 10 (besides English),

Hope this helps :)

itzKev

HSC
Hello guys,

OMG CONGRATS! I'm in year 10 currently and applied for year 11. I'm just wondering, when did you receive the letter?

Papercutter

HSC
OMG CONGRATS! I'm in year 10 currently and applied for year 11. I'm just wondering, when did you receive the letter?
Thank you :), I received the letter just yesterday (22/9). I think you should be getting yours in a few days at the very LATEST, good luck to you!

Papercutter

HSC
Bro, usually if you get an interview, u already hv a high chance of getting in, such as when I tried out for sbhs, me and 5 other people got in out of a total of seven who got interviews at my school. Also, it is ur choice if u want to study agriculture as a HSC course. They cannot simply force u to do agriculture. You're allowed to choose whatever hsc electives u want in yr 10 (besides English),

Hope this helps :)
That sounds assuring :), I'm looking forward to it already!
Are you sure about the agricultural bit though? I've heard that you need at least 2 years of agricultural studies (otherwise it's pointless coming to an ag school), so if I do Ag next year in year 10, that means I'll have to continue it in Year11 too?

Don't worry about the "bro" part, it's all fine :).

Major help though, thanks!

Last edited:

itzKev

HSC
Thank you :), I received the letter just yesterday (22/9). I think you should be getting yours in a few days at the very LATEST, good luck to you!
I may not receive the letter until beginning of term 4 because the school would be closed so no one would be sending the letters right? Looking forward to my results though it is taking a while. May I know when your interview is? So I get a general idea of when I would be receiving my letter? Thanks!

Papercutter

HSC
I may not receive the letter until beginning of term 4 because the school would be closed so no one would be sending the letters right? Looking forward to my results though it is taking a while. May I know when your interview is? So I get a general idea of when I would be receiving my letter? Thanks!
Hmm it's still possible that you can get it maybe tomorrow or the day after, but my interview is scheduled for week 2 of Term4, so if you do get a reply by the start of the next, you'll have quite a short notice. Perhaps it depends on where you live, in relation to the school, delivery might take a bit longer (though I doubt this bit). Good luck regardless, you'll do good!

itzKev

HSC
Hmm it's still possible that you can get it maybe tomorrow or the day after, but my interview is scheduled for week 2 of Term4, so if you do get a reply by the start of the next, you'll have quite a short notice. Perhaps it depends on where you live, in relation to the school, delivery might take a bit longer (though I doubt this bit). Good luck regardless, you'll do good!
Thanks! And I live quite close to Hurlstone, approximately 10-15 minutes away. Apparently there are 30-40 spots in Hurlstone due to people leaving Hurlstone to other selective schools and there were approximately 70 people that tried out. I'm only good at maths and terrible at the english section in the exam :( Hopefully the letter somehow arrives this holidays but the school won't be sending any letters in the holidays but I'm not too sure if the school still operates in the holidays.

Papercutter

HSC
Thanks! And I live quite close to Hurlstone, approximately 10-15 minutes away. Apparently there are 30-40 spots in Hurlstone due to people leaving Hurlstone to other selective schools and there were approximately 70 people that tried out. I'm only good at maths and terrible at the english section in the exam :( Hopefully the letter somehow arrives this holidays but the school won't be sending any letters in the holidays but I'm not too sure if the school still operates in the holidays.
Same! I also live around that close from Hurlstone, it would be cool to catch the train there though. I remember seeing a document posted on their website, there were 15 spots for Year 10 entry and about 14 spots for Year 11 entry? I know 120 people in year 9 tried out for year10, I still don't know how I got chosen seeing as I failed the maths and science part :(. The English part was alright though, the extended response asked what career/course would I be inspired to do that benefits agriculture, or something like that ahahaha. Have you checked your letterbox today? Maybe the postman hasn't/will come soon.

itzKev

HSC
Same! I also live around that close from Hurlstone, it would be cool to catch the train there though. I remember seeing a document posted on their website, there were 15 spots for Year 10 entry and about 14 spots for Year 11 entry? I know 120 people in year 9 tried out for year10, I still don't know how I got chosen seeing as I failed the maths and science part :(. The English part was alright though, the extended response asked what career/course would I be inspired to do that benefits agriculture, or something like that ahahaha. Have you checked your letterbox today? Maybe the postman hasn't/will come soon.
I have checked the mailbox and there was a mail but not from Hurlstone. The Postman already went pass so yeah....also although I live about 10-15 mins away I would catch the train from Liverpool Station :) and there is a guaranteed amount of 13 spots for year 10 into year 11 but adding all the people that would be leaving Hurlstone would leave approx 30-40 spots. I read from an article off the website. Oh and also I had a similar extended and totally screwed it up I guess because I didn't quite have a general idea in it. Short answers were simple, maths too easy and the science section I did silly mistakes....

Last edited:

Papercutter

HSC
I have checked the mailbox and there was a mail but not from Hurlstone. The Postman already went pass so yeah....also although I love about 10-15 mins away I would catch the train from Liverpool Station :) and there is a guaranteed amount of 13 for year 10 into year 11 but adding all the people that would be leaving Hurlstone would leave approx 30-40 spots. I read from an article off the website. Oh and also I had a similar extended and totally screwed it up I guess because I didn't quite have a general idea in it. Short answers were simple, maths too easy and the science section I did silly mistakes....
Keep hopeful, it has to come sooner or later; must be hard waiting hey?
If I do catch the train I would go from Cabramatta station since that was where my brother used to catch it from (he went to hurlstone previously). 30-40! That is a lot of opportunities indeed, too bad my year probably doesn't have as many vacancies. I think I got lucky in the response, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do in the future and it incidentally related to the environmental field, which is pretty much tied with agriculture. English multiple choices were super easy, only two of them and one of them you had to select whether to use "too", "to" or "two" in a sentence (no idea why they put that there). As long as we all try our best, that's all that matters!

Kazooker

HSC
N/A
Everybody's typing such long replies ( never seen every single person on a thread type over two lines before) lol:)

itzKev

HSC
Keep hopeful, it has to come sooner or later; must be hard waiting hey?
If I do catch the train I would go from Cabramatta station since that was where my brother used to catch it from (he went to hurlstone previously). 30-40! That is a lot of opportunities indeed, too bad my year probably doesn't have as many vacancies. I think I got lucky in the response, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do in the future and it incidentally related to the environmental field, which is pretty much tied with agriculture. English multiple choices were super easy, only two of them and one of them you had to select whether to use "too", "to" or "two" in a sentence (no idea why they put that there). As long as we all try our best, that's all that matters!
Haha I could go to Cabramatta train station too to visit friends who left my current school and goes from that train station. We can be train buddies! Haha! Anyhow making it in also matters :) we didn't get multiple choices for the English section unfortunately :( also can you give me an outline of what topics you wrote for each paragraph in the extended response? So I have an idea if I wrote the correct thing or not. Thanks!

Papercutter

HSC
Haha I could go to Cabramatta train station too to visit friends who left my current school and goes from that train station. We can be train buddies! Haha! Anyhow making it in also matters :) we didn't get multiple choices for the English section unfortunately :( also can you give me an outline of what topics you wrote for each paragraph in the extended response? So I have an idea if I wrote the correct thing or not. Thanks!
That would be cool! I have a friend there who goes Sefton, but he shares the same train with hurlstonians. In the extended response I had three body paragraphs:
-The field of work the career deals with (and other potential crap, I kinda waffled here)
-Benefits and rewards of the career
-How it relates to agriculture

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
That sounds assuring :), I'm looking forward to it already!
Are you sure about the agricultural bit though? I've heard that you need at least 2 years of agricultural studies (otherwise it's pointless coming to an ag school), so if I do Ag next year in year 10, that means I'll have to continue it in Year11 too?

Don't worry about the "bro" part, it's all fine :).

Major help though, thanks!
I know those who enter in Year 11 are forced to do Agriculture for both Year 11 and Year 12 iirc. I.e. they have to do HSC agriculture and cannot drop it. Tbh, this isn't much of an issue if you were to do like 12 units and AG doesn't count.

For those who enter in Year 10... I can't remember exactly. I know you definitely need to do agriculture in Year 11 but I forgot whether:
(a) You're allowed to drop it in Year 12 (i.e. don't need to do HSC agriculture)
or
(b) You're like those who enter in Year 11 and cannot drop it.

Just ask the school.

Sorry if I called u bro, though u were a guy for a minute
:haha:

Trapezium

HSC
For students entering in year 10, agriculture is compulsory in year 10. Though you are supposed to do agriculture in year 11, most new students do not choose ag on their subject selection form. The teacher in charge of this does not check whether a student is new or not new, so this is overlooked. (ie I know lots of students who are new in year 10 and don't do ag in year 11). Apparently the school is making ag compulsory up to HSC for all students from now on. However, I'm not sure if this affects your grade.

With regards to your interview, you will do fine. As long as you are respectful and don't say something stupid (eg. I want to go Hurlstone because it is close to the station, I don't like agriculture - I just want to come for good scaling) you will be fine.

Papercutter

HSC
I know those who enter in Year 11 are forced to do Agriculture for both Year 11 and Year 12 iirc. I.e. they have to do HSC agriculture and cannot drop it. Tbh, this isn't much of an issue if you were to do like 12 units and AG doesn't count.

For those who enter in Year 10... I can't remember exactly. I know you definitely need to do agriculture in Year 11 but I forgot whether:
(a) You're allowed to drop it in Year 12 (i.e. don't need to do HSC agriculture)
or
(b) You're like those who enter in Year 11 and cannot drop it.

Just ask the school.

:haha:

Interesting, yep I'll just ask the school. Thanks for your info and btw I enjoyed reading your super long post on "The guide to applying for a selective school", it was really rich in detail!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)