I am choosing Ancient History over Chemistry and IT.is that wise?:] (1 Viewer)

happyyappygurl

Hi Everybody ^^
I was wondering if you think if it is wise to choose Ancient History over Chemistry or IT??
Is Ancient History as hard as Chem??

Thanks hope to hear from you ^^ :):) :( :confused: :D

santaslayer

HSC
if u were purley going for scaling, then u would do Chem, but that would be stoopid if u know u cant get the marks to aid the scaling process.......(but if ur good at chem then of course u should choose chem!)
Ancient History is low in terms of scaling but if u have an interest in it and u manage to kill the subject (no less then band 6.....lol) then u would choose that sub
as for IT, thats really catered for the vocational students and u wouldnt choose it at all if u were soley aiming for a UAI
that being said, the sub can still be counted, but not significant in terms of contribution to ur UAI, if u were thinking of doing TAFE at the end of hsc then IT is good to.....
at the end of the day it really depends on ur choice of pathways..... (uni? tafe? apprentiship? DOLE?)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Depends - are you a science or history based person? What do you enjoy more. People say that you should chose chem for scaling purposes - but you need to remember that if you dont like the subject, and dont get the marks in it the scaling doesn't help you at all.

If you like ancient and are prepared to put work in for it - the benifits come.
I do ancient because i love history and it just seems to click.
Ancient is a lot of essays - but then you just need to know ur facts adn quotes and its not to hard to remember them all.

Did u do IT in yr 10? cause if you did i dont think to do it again in yr 11 or 12 because u know the basics.

ultimatlly do what ur good at

happyyappygurl

Thanks Santa Slayer and Miss Savage 29 for your inputs.... well I like science, but I am not as good at it as History, I really like history... Yea, I plan on going to UNI. so I am quite unsure.....
unless I go

Hope to hear from any1 elses input ^^

super_moron

if u like history and are good at it, then u should go for it. i couldnt do modern history because of a timetable clash, but i really liked history so i had to choose between ancient history and biology...i just enjoyed history more in junior school so i went for history...and because i didnt want 2 science subjects cause i was already doing physics...and dont worry too much about scaling...it works both ways, if u get good marks, u get scaled up, if ur below a certain percentage of the state, u get scaled back....

so if u really like history, then go for it...if ur stuck in a subject u hate, ur not gonna be motivated to work hard...so stick to what u enjoy

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Go for Ancient, especially since you're aiming for Uni, the skills are invaluable, and its fair interesting (depends on your topics)
As long as you get above about 85 (says our teacher), you're fine in the scaling sense.

cowgirl_vic

Chem and Ancient are both great, I take both personally i like chem buts thats because my good Ancient teacher left, but just go with what intrests you more

suomeksi

Listen UP! Scaling matters for absolutely nothing if you do really well at ancient history, and you'll do well at ancient history if you're interested in it, and it's a course, if you like history, that you'll be interested in. Ancient History's the best subject I do, I personally love it. I did chemistry for about 3 weeks and hated it. I'm more of an arts and humanities kinda guy, but i do Physics...it depends on what you like, but i'd definitely go with ancient history and damned be to those who say it's scaled badly. It'll give you far more pertinent skills to do anything remotely historical at university and good skills for analytical writing anyway.

kittiekat

HSC
N/A
I was told by my physics teacher last year that Ancient History is up there with the difficult subjects and considered just as good for your uai as the sciences... i don't know he could've been wrong but i do ancient history and i love it...! i do better in that than i would in something like chem. i ended up dropping physics as well :p most of the people that did chem at my school dropped it after year 11 too... so i don't think choosing ancient history is really a bad idea

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
On balance, if you think you'll do significantly better in Ancient, ignore the scaling.

But i'd reccommend you look at SAM - fix all your marks, then input what you think you're capable of for ancient, and compare it with IT and Chem.

In terms of interest - i cant' say for IT, but I find Chem FAR more interesting than Ancient. Chem is logical; ancient is just a matter of memorising lots of things and regurgitating it.

ms.cinderella

HSC
there's talk about ancient history not being so great when it comes to scaling, and chem would be better if you wanted to be scared more.
however i think scaling shouldn't base ur decision. do what you enjoy more, cos when u like a subject, you'll be more willing to work hard and thus, do well

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
Don't do ancient unless you are really interested in that sort of stuff. Make sure you like the topics they will be doing.
Because it takes so much work, you have to read so much stuff and remember it all.
Its Hard.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i chose chem over AH, and for me it was a very poor decision.

kt

HSC
I do both chem and ancient, and though they're both good, I find ancient more interesting. I think chem is harder, cos the information in ancient is easier to remember (I think anyway)

Last edited:

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
hmmm im going through the same thing ( subjects) and i picked chem, im still wondering shall i change? coa i have a good memory and like writing essays so i thought i would be good at AH plus there is a really good teacher wheras i dont like my chem etacher and dont like it that much i dunno coz it means swapping economics from 1 to the other. i would get a better ecs teacher, but no NOBODY in the class.????? should i change do u think? i dunno

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hell yes. AH sounds the better option for you, and personally, HSC wise, I'd rather a good teacher and no friends to a teacher which is so so and your friends. After all, you can still study together and stuff.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Josie
Hell yes. AH sounds the better option for you, and personally, HSC wise, I'd rather a good teacher and no friends to a teacher which is so so and your friends. After all, you can still study together and stuff.
its just that i wanna be happy for the hsc so i do well and stuff, and if i dont have friends i dont think i will be happy. and the teacher i have wooulkd be really good and explaine everything but id be uncomfortable sitting by myself coz he always doesnt just do work like uses examples and asks questions n stuff

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Well if you're going to dislike the "isolation" so much..... HSC already has enough stress, don't heap any more on. Just going from personal experience in my business studies which none of my friends do. It's still ok.
Its up to you in the end.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Josie
Well if you're going to dislike the "isolation" so much..... HSC already has enough stress, don't heap any more on. Just going from personal experience in my business studies which none of my friends do. It's still ok.
Its up to you in the end.
the business u said that u had none of ur frienz, did u have ppl that u sat next too? if that makes sense that like werent ur friennds. that would be okay itz just i dont wanna be all by myself

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Yeah, I found some people from other groups to sit with, one or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)