i am confused, help plz. (1 Viewer)

peony

my teacher said that acids and base conducts electricity :confused: . Is this right ? Because i don't see how it fits. Can someone valliadate this and explain it more clearly to me because i don't grasp what he told me ?

thanks in advance

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Ions in solution conduct electricity.

In this case the hydrogen and the hydroxide ions (OH-) I think :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah its the ions that conduct electicity in solution it is the hydroxide and hydrogen atoms that do it in Acids and Bases.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm, i fink tis teh cation dat contribute mostly to the conductivity of electricity.... hence, in acidic solution, h + ions, in basic solution, wut eva metal ions in the soln...

Originally posted by kimmeh
they are electrolytes :uhhuh: only insolution though ;)

i cant explain why though :cold:

edit: because i think acids produce free hydrogen ions in solution.. unsure about bases though

also in molten form ... =p blehz, *wut's wif xiao's pendanticity??*

victorling

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by peony
my teacher said that acids and base conducts electricity :confused: . Is this right ? Because i don't see how it fits. Can someone valliadate this and explain it more clearly to me because i don't grasp what he told me ?

thanks in advance

acid and base only conducts electricity in aqueous or molten states as they contain mobile ions

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
uhm, i fink tis teh cation dat contribute mostly to the conductivity of electricity.... hence, in acidic solution, h + ions, in basic solution, wut eva metal ions in the soln...

also in molten form ... =p blehz, *wut's wif xiao's pendanticity??*
You mean *pedanticism* :D

They simply conduct electricity because there are ions. But this is only the case in liquid or solution form, since solid states contain molecules, which are non-conducting.

Case closed.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
All ions conduct electricity - not necessarily H+ or OH- and not all acids/bases necessarily contain these ions (just to clarify your message)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
All ions conduct electricity - not necessarily H+ or OH- and not all acids/bases necessarily contain these ions (just to clarify your message)
yea true... not all acidz bases contains h+ or oh- ions...

wut's the mechanics behind ion's electricity conductivity??

and whilst the electricity is conducted, is it necesary dat electrolysis simultaneously occurin to the electrolyte??

victorling

HSC
N/A

and whilst the electricity is conducted, is it necesary dat electrolysis simultaneously occurin to the electrolyte??

:confused:

CHUDYMASTER

HSC

It's like the same way metals conduct. There is a sea of negative and positive particles, i.e. ions/electrons. In the same way, in solutions there are negative and positive ions. Due to a potential difference, the anions will move toward the anode as oxidation occurs and at the cathode, the cations will move toward, as reduction occurs.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It's like the same way metals conduct. There is a sea of negative and positive particles, i.e. ions/electrons. In the same way, in solutions there are negative and positive ions. Due to a potential difference, the anions will move toward the anode as oxidation occurs and at the cathode, the cations will move toward, as reduction occurs.
Yep, all in my book back here at home. You can read well :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
but wut if the potential difference is not great enuf to reduce and oxidise the ions in the electrolyte??? does that mean no electricity will be conducted through the electricity?

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Yep, all in my book back here at home. You can read well :p
Nah I burnt my Lofts books. But I can't burn that voice in the back of my head...poppycock!

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Consider the two half equations:
Mg(s) -> Mg^2+ + 2e^-

Cu^2+ + 2e- -> Cu(s)

In one side the metal is oxidised. The ions in that part has nothing to do with it. The other side, ions in electrolyte are reduced.

When you make this reaction, you'll see that there's is an increasing number of positive ions on the magnesium side. This is an imbalance, so negative ions flow towards it and positive ions flow away. Doesn't really matter what those ions are.
Vice versa for the other side. Decreasing positive.

As long as there is Cu^2+ ions left the reaction continues.
This is partly why having ions in solution increases condictivity. Acids and bases which go into solution produces the ions necessary.

This works with just putting potentials in, the mechanics are different though when they measure conductivity. I s'pose they measure the difference in charges befre and after. the potential at each end will attract the respective ions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)