I am no longer interested in Biology..... (1 Viewer)

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately, I'm down to 10 units so I can't drop anymore subjects

My teacher has literally taught us nothing through the past 12 months, and I hate the subject and no longer interested in it. I can't drop it and I literally can't memorise many terms because I literally don't understand or I am just not interested in doing the work.

Someone please recommend me methods, on ways to actually get interested in Biology and do well in the subject. Biology is a lot of memorising, if I am unable to I am so done for this HSC Year coming around

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately, I'm down to 10 units so I can't drop anymore subjects

My teacher has literally taught us nothing through the past 12 months, and I hate the subject and no longer interested in it. I can't drop it and I literally can't memorise many terms because I literally don't understand or I am just not interested in doing the work.

Someone please recommend me methods, on ways to actually get interested in Biology and do well in the subject. Biology is a lot of memorising, if I am unable to I am so done for this HSC Year coming around
If you are that desperate and can afford it I would recommend to get tutoring. It doesn't have to be expensive tutoring like matrix or talent 100, but just if you go to tutor maybe lets say 1.5 hours a week for around 50-60 dollars you will see an improvement. Other than that check out conquer HSC website (I don't have familiarity with the biology since I never did it but I can tell you the Chem ones are high quality so the biology is probably similarly high quality). Also capitalise on the holidays break now. A lot of students in their HSC year have a fear of burning out so they end up not studying much this Christmas holidays. From personal experience when I did the HSC the hardwork I put in during this extended holidays I feel basically got me my ATAR. I say that because after that studying and revision process over the 2 months I was able to improve ranks and marks. Also from my experience as a HSC tutor for chem, the students who study in this break period are usually the ones who are going to get a good mark, because this will be likely the only time you have all year where you don't have assessments going on till the trials and hsc exam prep time (where it is hard to study for other subjects)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
So you have a shit Biology teacher. What are you going to do about it? Give up? Or do the best you can, given your unfortunate situation. As pointed out by jazz519, don't waste your coming summer break. Find whatever help you can - from a friend, a classmate or a paid tutor, so you can catch up. jazz519 has good advice above.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Totally agree. Don't give up. meet up with peers that are in your class or doing bio, study together and do the hard concepts. Get tutoring so you understand your content more. Research more and do more practise questions. I know you can do it.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Also sometimes you gotta just realise you may not like the subject but still have to study for it. I always hated English but I still studied hard for it in year 12 because I didn't want to screw up my atar. I didn't like studying it at all but my motivation to at least get a band 5 in it so it wouldn't screw me over was good enough to push me.

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are that desperate and can afford it I would recommend to get tutoring. It doesn't have to be expensive tutoring like matrix or talent 100, but just if you go to tutor maybe lets say 1.5 hours a week for around 50-60 dollars you will see an improvement. Other than that check out conquer HSC website (I don't have familiarity with the biology since I never did it but I can tell you the Chem ones are high quality so the biology is probably similarly high quality). Also capitalise on the holidays break now. A lot of students in their HSC year have a fear of burning out so they end up not studying much this Christmas holidays. From personal experience when I did the HSC the hardwork I put in during this extended holidays I feel basically got me my ATAR. I say that because after that studying and revision process over the 2 months I was able to improve ranks and marks. Also from my experience as a HSC tutor for chem, the students who study in this break period are usually the ones who are going to get a good mark, because this will be likely the only time you have all year where you don't have assessments going on till the trials and hsc exam prep time (where it is hard to study for other subjects)
I go to Tutoring at one of the more expensive centres you listed, it's hard cause literally I can't apply that knowledge inside the classroom so I literally have no fully integrated understanding of the Concepts

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I go to Tutoring at one of the more expensive centres you listed, it's hard cause literally I can't apply that knowledge inside the classroom so I literally have no fully integrated understanding of the Concepts
Maybe consider private tutoring then?

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
You need to understand that doing bad in bio will be really bad for your atar (even if it isn't that bad it should still be your mindset) and it will motivate you to study and work as hard as you can so you can get the best mark you possibly can. Complaining about a bad teacher is a waste of time and useless, you're lucky enough to have tutoring anyway so you just need to work harder.

What did you get in Y11 and on the first Y12 test?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
"practice questions" and not "practise questions"

I'm don't mean to embarrass anyone. But nowadays, people are not getting their basic English right (like spelling, punctuation,unable to distinguish between advise and advice, etc) so often. The Yanks use advice for both the verb and the noun; being so exposed to American media, we tend to adopt the American usage.

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
You need to understand that doing bad in bio will be really bad for your atar (even if it isn't that bad it should still be your mindset) and it will motivate you to study and work as hard as you can so you can get the best mark you possibly can. Complaining about a bad teacher is a waste of time and useless, you're lucky enough to have tutoring anyway so you just need to work harder.

What did you get in Y11 and on the first Y12 test?
Year 11 was 72/100 as a Course Average

Year 12 was a Take Home hopefully 90+

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Year 11 was 72/100 as a Course Average

Year 12 was a Take Home hopefully 90+
maybe consider private tutoring. group tutoring works well for self-directed learners - not saying that you aren't one but perhaps for bio, you may be less motivated, so group tutoring may not be as effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)