I am so confused??? (1 Viewer)

pwettigurl

HSC
You guys have probably seen a number of threads like this, but please bear with me haha
So there's a dilemma...i can't decide what to do. I sat for the UMAT this year and completely fucked up...I missed by a mark:( so I obviously can't go right into medicine. I sat for the STAT and received 180. Now I can't decide between pharmacy/medical science/commerce/advance sciences (all @ Usyd)
The thing is, with pharmacythere aren't that many great job prospects, whilst in medical science, you can do the three year degree and then specialize in whatever you want ( I.e pharmacology, dentistry,podiatry etc) but then this will mean a number of years in uni once again, but will it be worth it?
Any suggestions?
Thanks guys

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would choose medical science if I was in your boat. It's relevance to medicine is more than the others in my opinion. A lot of people in med science do the GAMSAT and get into med from there.

Blushii

HSC
Did you apply for JCU? i applied there before UMAT results came out, and thankfully so, since i've secured an interview there. don't know if they're still informing about interview offers though. You could try taking a gap year..but then even so, you have the possibility of wasting a whole year with no certainty you'll do better in the UMAT.

Medical science seems like your best option atm. Just wondering, how come the cut off for medical science at UNSW is so much higher compared to USYD's? ie. 97.80 at UNSW as compared to 92.05 at usyd? Less spots at UNSW or what o.o?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Med Sci ~ closely related and will give you a great depth of knowledge in many areas - and then do a Grad Entry via GAMSAT to Medicine. All the best.

PS. I am a science person doing commerce and do not recommend the course at all.

Vidhya

HSC
Just wondering, how come the cut off for medical science at UNSW is so much higher compared to USYD's? ie. 97.80 at UNSW as compared to 92.05 at usyd? Less spots at UNSW or what o.o?
Because there is a pathway from UNSW med sci (you have to complete the degree with an honours year) into UNSW medicine whereby if you achieve the required UMAT or GAMSAT score (can't remember which) and if you've been getting really high grades, you can straightaway start fourth year medicine. This is my rough understanding (would be great is someone could clarify), but yeah that's why it's moar popular

HSC
Med Sci ~ closely related and will give you a great depth of knowledge in many areas - and then do a Grad Entry via GAMSAT to Medicine. All the best.

PS. I am a science person doing commerce and do not recommend the course at all.
Why do you not recommend commerce?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)