• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I am the only person doing MX2 - how will this affect me? (1 Viewer)

frozensunset

HSC
N/A
As the title reads, I am the only person in my school doing MX2. Just a note, I go to quite a low-ranked school, in the 300s. The last E4 in MX2 was in 2010, and that class had about ~ 3 people.

I have a few questions about how this will affect me:

How will this impact my internal and external marks?

Is it still possible for me to get an E4?

Is it better to get a high band 6 in 2u mathematics than a low E4 in MX2?

I am quite enjoying the course so far, but I am just worried that being the only person doing MX2 in my school will disadvantage me.

D94

HSC
N/A
The only thing that matters is the HSC exam. Whatever mark you get in the HSC exam becomes your final mark.

However, you must satisfactorily complete the course.

Of course it's possible to get an E4. It is solely dependent on your performance.

Better for what? Your ATAR? What is considered high? Would you be able to achieve a high Band 6? (no, it is not assumed that those who do MX2 will get 98+ in 2U).

The only real problem that may arise is if you are sick or cannot sit the HSC exam, for which that becomes a very unique case.

frozensunset

HSC
N/A
Thanks D94. And I meant is it better for my ATAR if I get about 96+ for 2U than about a 45 for MX2?

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks D94. And I meant is it better for my ATAR if I get about 96+ for 2U than about a 45 for MX2?
Based on the 2013 scaling data, 90 in MX2 would be better than a 96 in 2U. But a 97 in 2U would be better than a 90 in MX2 (if you do MX2, it is a score out of 100).

Having said that, around 38% get E4 in MX2, whereas around 18% get B6 in 2U.

If you are capable, doing MX1 and MX2 is a 'better' option.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I was the only one in my MX2 class, and I loved it. The thing is that you have to keep motivated throughout the year, despite the fact that you're guaranteed to rank first, which is what I struggled with after my first term on MX2. MX2 requires a consistent effort throughout the whole year, but I fell into the trap of "I don't need to study for this because my assessments don't count".

The other negative aspect of being the only one in your cohort is that your entire mark relies upon your HSC exam performance, which I found quite stressful in the days leading up to my exam.

But I personally think I benefited overall from being the only one in my class, because the lessons went at my pace and my teacher always had time to help me with work. And I ended up getting a mid E4.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I have the same thing for EE2, though the stress is a bit less for that as there's no exam. The day of the exam will probably be a bit more rough for you than it would have been if you'd had a 'safety net', but there's no worrying that there's someone beating you internally that's going to bomb the exam and screw up your internal mark.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
I'm also the only person in my school doing MX2 and so far I've been enjoying it! Previously, students from my school have gone to our brother school down the road to complete the course, but due to a clash on my timetable I didn't have that option.

Perhaps you could find someone from another school and set up study sessions so that you know you're on par with other people in the course from other schools. As for how MX2 will affect your ATAR, it's really your call; if you can put in the effort to MX2 you can get an E4, a lot of people that do the course do get an E3 or E4.

Good luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)