• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I did a shanky and think I will get caught (1 Viewer)

davidninezero

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I recently did a DSPP assignment, unfortunatly i did not have too much knowledge of how to program in C.

A "Lucky" brake came when i found a friend had done the assignment previously. I pulled a shanky and started to use it..

I submitted it to the testing system which i thought was ok until i found out that all submissions are scanned!!.. not just the last one.

What do you think my options are? should i approach the lecturer? or wait on the offchance its not picked up

Thanks, David.

Debi

HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, your lucky break, won't quite be so lucky, David. Dozens of people before you have pulled a shanky in the past and tried to outsmart Gordon's plagiarism detection software only to come off worse for wear.

Gordon's been doing this for years, and he's way smarter than you and has seen it all before. I guarantee he WILL catch you.. just you wait.

~ :bomb: shanky's never win! :bomb: ~​

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
ALl submissions are scanned yes, however you can only get busted on your final submission (as that is your actual assignment). It will probably mean that he will take a close look at it, and if there is evidence that your final copy is similar to the first one, then you may be in trouble, otherwise you may be lucky.

MarkSparson

HSC
N/A
I was a bit lost to the title of the post until I googled shanky..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SHANKY

I joined just to say that you are in trouble. All submissions are scanned and if plagiarism is detected in ANY of them you will be called in front of the board.

It happened to a friend of mine who found a copy in the tmp directory on charlie. This was 2 years ago. I'm not sure how things have changed.

What happens:
1. w in the system
2. about 200 pages detailing what your assignment matches
3. called in front of the board.
4. fail subject or explusion.

I don't know what to suggest, you may be lucky and have found a "rare" copy that won't be picked up but you have probably failed the subject.

Debi

HSC
N/A
Yeah, sorry about that Mark. I was going to explain what he meant, but I guess I just assumed that as shanky is such a common term around here, everyone would know what he meant. :wave:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
thank you UWS!, my whole tute class and many many others used the same program (C++), we had to design a program that will animate a robotic arm after inputs values were defined. Everyone got HD for the assignment and only like 2 ppl got caught, cause being idiots they are, they didnt restructure program around, or used different colour etc etc.

I dont think you will be given a subject fail/exclusion. But i think it might just be a zero mark for that assessment (maybe put on probation), i guess it depends how important that assignment was.

anyways...good-luck

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
damn, i just realised this thread is 6 months old.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:
thank you UWS!, my whole tute class and many many others used the same program (C++), we had to design a program that will animate a robotic arm after inputs values were defined. Everyone got HD for the assignment and only like 2 ppl got caught, cause being idiots they are, they didnt restructure program around, or used different colour etc etc.

I dont think you will be given a subject fail/exclusion. But i think it might just be a zero mark for that assessment (maybe put on probation), i guess it depends how important that assignment was.

anyways...good-luck
Do you go to UTS or UWS?? o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)